This Disappears When Logged In

New To Breeding Need To Clarify Info

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Mugen, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Mugen

Mugen Member

I currently have a visual hypo red tail boa and I want to breed it to an albino red tail I have read that there are 2 genes of albino does that matter or if i pick the wrong one will i just get a bunch of normal ones with no chance at any albino babies?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Unless your hypo is het albino, yes you will just get a bunch of normal het albino (visually just normals) maybe a few hypo het albino as well. No chance of sunglow or albino babies unless both parents carry the albino gene, as it is recessive.

3. Mugen

Mugen Member

but isnt a sunglow just a hypo albino? Nh to aa would give Na(normal het albino) and ha(hypo albino) babies, but the hypo gene will go with either the sharp albino or the kahl albino without issue right?

4. Mugen

Mugen Member

5. AmityReptiles

You can't get an albino from only one parent carrying the albino gene. It's a simple recessive. Both parents need to possess atleast one allele each.
    The hypo gene is a co-dom, and completely different. A sunglow would be both het hypo (which is a codom, so unless super form we just call it "hypo") and homozygous for albino, which means it has both alleles.
    You can only take one allele from each for each color morph.
    So for the albino in the babies you are working with aa (albino) and NN (normal) which can only make Na (normal het albino)
    And for the hypo gene you are working with NH (normal het hypo) and NN (normal) so you would get half normals and half hypos (het hypo)

So your total of babies statistically speaking would be half hypo het albino (which look the same as hypos) and half normal het albino (which look the same as normals)
    No albinos or sunglows possible.

Kahl and sharp are both compatible with hypo to my knowledge.

6. Mugen

Mugen Member

Cool so I just need to produce hypos het albino using my hypo to an albino then breed those to an albino to get albinos and sunglows thank you for the information you have been a great help.

7. AmityReptiles

Bingo! You're welcome. Is your hypo male? Reason I'm asking is males become sexually mature quicker, so if you pick one of your hypo het albino males, they would be able to breed with your female albino sooner. Would cut a couple years off your project if you do it that way.

8. Mugen

Mugen Member

yes my current hypo is a male so my albino will be a female

9. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

Don't breed the F2 generation with each other. That would be inbreeding, and could result in eggs that don't hatch, and other health issues. Find a different albino to breed the F2s with. Best of luck!

10. AmityReptiles

There have been several studies on the subject, and in snakes there are no notable differences of viability of offspring down to the F4 generation. F2 inbreeding is common practice, if it wasn't we wouldn't have all the ball python or leopard gecko morphs we have today. Just as one example.

11. Owen Baranoski

That's interesting. I have heard lots of stories about eggs not hatching from inbred geckos. I suppose studies don't lie though.

12. AmityReptiles

Probably more to do with the morphs they are breeding, some of the more exotic color mutations (ones you would never see in the wild) come out of very extensive line breeding... Which restricts the genetics and more fatal errors can occur, (If I'm remembering correctly).
    But if they are unrelated parents with unrelated genes then it would take alot more inbreeding to see any notable difference in offspring viability. In reptiles atleast.

13. Owen Baranoski

Reptiles really are peculiar creatures. I'd like to breed my geckos, so it's super helpful to know I can breed the F2 gen. Didn't know that lol. Don't know if you saw my other post on my other thread, but I took your advice on my cohabbing vivarium.

14. AmityReptiles

I saw that, but it wasn't me that gave the advice about the anole, it was one of the anole keepers on this site. I appreciate the credit though.

15. Owen Baranoski

Ohhh. Yeah probably should've checked twice. Either way, the 50 gal is getting better.