This Disappears When Logged In

New Tiger Salamander :D

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by skelly98, Nov 28, 2012.

1. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

[video=youtube;n28nU9AXZGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n28nU9AXZGY&feature=plcp[/video]

Boots, my new tiger salamander, with a belly full of crickets. Been wanting one for a long time, got boots two days ago, and set up my enclosure according to caudata.org, but i already knew what to do since i have been looking for a while. cost 30$, but i love him/her :D

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Oh, and does anybody have any habitat suggestions? I want to give boots the best house possible :D

3. Crimsonraptor

Crimsonraptor Member

Soooo cute :D

I've never kept them myself, but the Reptiles Magazine 2012 Annual issue had a whole article about tiger salamanders, so if you can find a copy of that it has some nice info. :)

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Hi congrats on the guy,
    I would personally get rid of the moss. Soil or even cocohusk is a lot better. Thy love I burrow and they will make tons if you give them a good 5 or so inches of soil. The water bowl should be more shallow, something not as deep it looks a little hard to crawl into.

Tiger salamanders are really cool pets! They will even beg for food when I walk around my room my salamanders stand up on their back legs and try to climb the glass. They're so fun to watch.

5. Majora

Majora Elite Member

So cute! And Boots is a great name. It's adorable.

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Also I could be wrong but I think you have a California tiger!

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Looks like a cali :) Would six inches of dirt under a few inches of moss work? i want to help conserve humidity in the tank...

8. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I would put damp moss, then a few inches of soil on there. Some types of moss irritate tigers skin so most people just don't use it at all. The humidity will be fine as long as the ground is damp-not soaking wet. Also if you're using a screen lid I would put a peice of wood on it or plastic wrap, or tin foil. That will help the humidity a lot! :)

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Will do. I have heard of "bio-active" substrates with plants and decomposers, like worms, etc, do you think that would work with a tiger sal?

10. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I personally dont because they would try to eat the worms and end up eating a lot of the substrate and they will have killed the plants in a few days. They will burrow threw them and tear them apart.

11. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on your new salamander! He's adorable. :)

12. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Alright, i'll keep feeding worms w/ tongs. and crickets in a tub. Now, does anyone know anything about that "tree fern" substrate? i was reading about it and was thinking about using it. Any thoughts? :D

ps thanks for the advice, boots is going to love her/his habitat!

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

And thanks, i love the little guy :D