This Disappears When Logged In

New Snake-everglades Rat

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Karma Momma, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

I bought this sweet girl Saturday. Haven't named her yet, but I pretty much put her in her enclosure and left her alone to acclimate except to feed her. She's already eaten for me.

My research says these snakes can be bitey and timid as juveniles so she's in a 10g right now until I get her more accustomed to being handled. I'll start handling her after she eats for me a few more times.

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Cute snake, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. This wouldn't have been from the show in Taylor Michigan, would it?

3. Karma Momma

Thank you. No, I bought her at Repticon in Atlanta. I live in NE Georgia.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Lol, guess that just shows how common those container really are. A few of the vendors at our local show will use those occasionally, including myself. Mine always had the remnants of my lunch in them first though.:D

Karma Momma likes this.
  5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

My everglades rat is timid about handling as an adult, likely wasn't handled much when she was a baby. She had already gone through the color change, though still showed a faint juvie pattern, when I got her about a year ago. She's grown quite a bit since then, has never bitten but will usually musk when picked up. I'd recommend adding some branches for her to climb on regardless of the tank size, though the 10 will be fine for some time.

Karma Momma likes this.
  6. Karma Momma

I got her some grape vine at the show. Right now, she's staying inside her cork hide. I'll probably swap that out at some point for a hide she can climb on so she can have the best of both worlds. I still haven't handled her, but I definitely will after she eats for me a few more times so I don't have the timidity issue.

7. Karma Momma

She eats as good as Karma, my ball. I adore her! That sassy attitude is great at expanding my knowledge with snakes. I finally named her-Calusa, after the indigenous people of the Everglades.