This Disappears When Logged In

New Setup for My FBT's.

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Robbie0214, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Robbie0214

Robbie0214 Member

frogs5.jpg frogs6.jpg

Just wanting to get some thoughts. Is it ok to keep it moss covered like that, or should i open some area for the eco earth?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It looks good. You can leave the moss as is it will help with humidity.

3. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

It looks pretty good. I tried something like that before but it was to much of a hassle to keep the substrate wet so I just switched back to water, which is harder to keep clean. Be careful about the rocks. Mine always goes into the little crevices between the rocks and gets stuck. Make sure that the rocks aren't rough enough to easily cut it if it tries to squeeze in between the rocks.

4. Robbie0214

Robbie0214 Member

the rocks are smooth, so no worry there. and i had a mostly water setup but i wasnt a fan of it, and i dont think they were either. they mostly stayed on the land area. now the one climbs on the fake plant and climbs the side of the aqaurium trying to escape. its pretty funny to watch.

5. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Haha. Yea mine used to climb on the side of the tank a lot. But he is like 3-4 years old now. You should think about getting multiple toads. It makes the tank more lively. You only need a gallon per toad, although I recommend like 5. Only thing you have to worry about then is one toad eating all of the crickets and the others not getting any.

6. Robbie0214

Robbie0214 Member

Its a 10gallon, and there are 3 toads in there. 2 females and a male. They seem the be getting along fine. And its the littlest female who does all the climbing. Shes just sitting on top of the fake plants right now. very comical

7. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Ohhh... I didn't really notice them all. Wasn't looking close enough. Do they croak a lot like mine? Mine would also mate a lot but I would never really get any eggs....

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have my FBTs in a 30 gal and have 5males 1female...the males are constantly "wrestling" with each other and the female gets ignored for the most part...it boggles me. Also their is always croaking going on...I swear I host homosexual orgies in that tank...
    Also my female has figured out how to climb the corner of the tank and stays at the top most of the day.

9. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Hahahaha I only have one right now but I am planning to buy some more soon. My female would do that all the time too.

10. Robbie0214

Robbie0214 Member

Yea, only one shows up in the picture, the other 2 are hiding under the plant. There isnt alot of croaking going on, although the male will every once in a while, but its pretty quiet. Ive only seen the male try and "mate" with one of my females once, almost drowned her, but i havent seen anything like that since. I really really wanna get a bigger tank and set it up for like 10 or more. Me and my son was in petsmart weeks ago and he really wanted a frog, i wasnt bothered by the time, but i got 2 and set it up for him. Since then, i took a liking to them, and i really like being able to think about new setups. Id like to be able to go all out, with water and land and plants and waterfalls and hidey holes and everything. haha. im not sure i wanna do what it takes to raise babies, but id like to get more toads, males, so i can hear them sing. the only thing im not liking so far is having to buy crickets every couple days a week. but overall, im enjoying it.

11. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

That's good. I love listening to hear mine croak unless it is the middle of the night.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You should research paladiums (sp?) it is a naturalistic way of setting up tanks with waterfalls, plants, etc. Also search craigslist for larger tanks. In my are there are always 55gallons and sometimes larger ones. Also research discount aquarium places near you.
    If you do add more fbts make sure they are babies otherwise you are going to end up with fights.