This Disappears When Logged In

New Retic Owner (please Help)

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Nhoyle46, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Nhoyle46

Nhoyle46 New Member

New to the site, very nice though. I know this has been posted before but it wasn't relevant to my individual situation. I've owned coastal carpet pythons, rainbow boas, I currently own a red tail boa and just recently added a 3 month old lavender albino tiger retic to my collection. I feel like im in over my head. The first time I got him I handled him less than 5 minutes bc he was new and just wanted to see how his temperment was. He was extremely active, as if he didn't want to be touched period! When I bought him, I was told he was 3 months old so I just assumed "hey, it's a baby" but when I slid him out of the bag, I was intimidated from the start at how large he was only because I didn't expect that. My red tail boa is larger, a lot larger, but I grew up with her, this just caught me off guard. After I put him in his new cage I covered it with a towel (mainly bc it's glass and it would help make the vivarim feel smaller while holding in heat and humidity). Three days later I go to hold him for 5 minutes. As soon as I touched him he went crazy. Trying his best to get the heck away from me and find his way out as well. Automatically I felt intimidated. I don't even know why. I did finally get him out, as he moved very fast lyon though my hands trying to find a way down and trying to hide somewhere was his main goal. He was moving so fast that it was hard to keep him from actually succeeding in the attempts. I figured he didn't care to be messed with, once again so he wins, and I put him back in his cage. Here's the most important problem. Once I got the top back on and secured, I go to move his cage back in place over the heat tape and bam he struck at my hand through the glass???? I am officially scared, mentally, of this snake. He actually even ate the first day I got him.like, and plus, this wasn't a hunger strike me. It was a quick "you better leave me alone" strike. Somebody please tell me what I'm supposed to do.

I have uploaded a picture of him as well.

Attached Files:

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

He is still fairly new to his new environment, he is probably scared of you, I would just give him some time to adjust, maybe cover his viv so he feels more secure. It is good that you respect the snake, because one day he will have the potential to kill you. He will probably adjust to being handled over time, but right now I would give him some space. You have snakes, you know how moody they can be lol.
    Beautiful snake by the way

3. Nhoyle46

Nhoyle46 New Member

Absolutely, my number one rule is always respect a snake and what they are capable of. For the ones who don't, may just find themselves in a situation they can't get out of. So in your opinion, it's not that I've don't anything wrong, it's that I just haven't given him a lot of time to adjust? I've read multiple sources that say go in with confidence (side note-I hook train) and show the snake that being aggressive doesn't give it what he or she wants. But I think that's just one big joke. A snake does not have the brain capacity to think like that nor have that kind of "knowledge/emotion" to learn this. It has thousands of years of instincts that they will always go to if they feel they need to. To allow the snake to bite you until it stops and calms down? Does that technique actually work? Or is this just circumstance for that said person. And my last question would be, can a snake actually feel your blood pressure rising and realize that you are intimidated by it? And at the same time use it to their advantage? As many as I have owned I should know this answer but the only snake I've ever really owned that showed any aggression was my striped coastal carpet python. But he was small enough that I just didn't care. I was very surprised at how large my new retics head is as a baby, but thank you for the response and the compliment, I still can't get over how beautiful that he really is haha.

4. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I don't really know what all a snake can since. And yeah, I don't think showing the snake who is boss works lol. I'm not saying that reptiles can't be trained, because I've seen plenty of videos online, I just don't have the nac for it. Sounds like you got quite the collection, I think you just got spooked. Maybe someone with more experience with large snakes will chime in. But I personally think he is just nervous in his new home and in time will calm down

Nhoyle46 likes this.
  5. Nhoyle46

Nhoyle46 New Member

I'll take that advice and see how it works out and keep you posted. I do appreciate you weighing in on the situation.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sensing your blood pressure and using it against you is nonsense. However acting confident is not. When you are nervous you will move, as well as smell, differently. Your movements will be rapid and jerky. Animals pick up on things like this. Move with assurance. Slow and steady. Don't give the snake a reason to suspect you.

Nhoyle46 likes this.
  7. Nhoyle46

Nhoyle46 New Member

Thank you for confirming that lol. So, even if he strikes, continue to go with assurance and confidence? I do believe if he strikes and hits, and I pull out, he will learn very fast that, that was all he had to do all along. That's one routine I don't want him getting used too. It's true that I have owned all of these snakes and still own the BCC and have never once been bit. So as you can imagine, it's not something that I want to experience. With that being said I wouldn't give this snaked up over a bite, and it's starting to sound like I'm going to have to take a few in order for things to be where I want them for the both of us.

He ate a small rat last night so it will be a few days before I go back in to do anything invloving him. Respond and tell me what you think.

Thanks for the advice as well. Sort of made me feel better about not being the only one who is going, or has gone, through this.