This Disappears When Logged In

New RETF.

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by tink, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

Hi everyone,
    So I finally got a Red Eyed. He's about 1.5in big so right now he's in a ten gallon. I have coco dirt in the bottom with fake plants and branches. I have a low wattage infrared light. It says about 79-82 in there. And the humidity is usually around 85%.
    It's day three and instead of sleeping somewhere he is now in the middle on the ground sleeping. Is this normal? I know they aren't usually on the ground, so what's this mean?
    I put three crickets in last night and now only see one left. He's still a bright lime green. I don't wanna move him or anything. I haven't touched him at all.
    Thanks!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would see about adding maybe a big rock or something big to the bottom. See if you can't drop the humidity a little, aim for closer to 70%. Do you have a water dish in there?

3. Reezo

Reezo Active Member

They love water dishes!
    Mine take a dip every night.
    I know this because the dish is free of the coco husk when I put it in but the next morning its always got traces of the 'dirt' in there. This is how I know they're active, which is good.

In fact maybe that's a good way to see if its moving around when your not there.

4. tink

tink Elite Member

So now he is sticking to the glass all day.. and when I get up he's on the ground. When I spray him he climbs back up like he hates it. Stays there all day. Then again. It's almost as if he is now browsing at night. How long does it take to get ajusted? He's still bright green. I just haven't seen him eat with my own eyes. And do they do well in grounps? because he's alone. And thanks guys! I will get a bigger water dish! It's probably only 4" by 4" now.

5. schlegelbagel

They do fine in groups. I have 3 in my tank. The ground thing is weird. Is he sleeping on the ground? I'll find one of mine on the ground, but its usually because they are hunting crickets.

6. tink

tink Elite Member

Yeah! That's what I thought. =/

Whats a good dechlor??

Whats a good dechlor??

7. tink

tink Elite Member

He died. =(
    I don't think he ever ate..

8. schlegelbagel

ugh, that sucks. RETFs are so fragile. If anything is the slightest off, then it can go wrong.

Any dechlorinater is fine.

9. tink

tink Elite Member

Yeah =(
    Thanks for helping though!!

10. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Is there any UV lighting?

11. schlegelbagel

They don't require UV. They DO need the water to be dechlorinated, even the water used for misting. VERY important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.