This Disappears When Logged In

New Rescue Has Serious Issues, Input Needed

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by methos75, Jul 9, 2013.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Was out at Petco today buying supplies when one of the employees told me that someone had dropped off a very sick Breaded Dragon that they basically stopped caring for after replacing it with a Iggy. They thought it would be better off in my care than theirs since they are limited on what they can do for it due to store policy, so they just signed it over to me. Basically what I have is a Breadie about 2-3 years old who appears to have been well fed and is still alert, but cannot use its front legs at all and just pushes itself around around on its back legs. It has eaten nothing but crickets its entire life according to what Petco was told, and may or may not of had a source of heat over him. I am thinking MBD, but other than the paralyses of his front legs I see no other signs. WE have been letting him get sunlight outside today which really perked him up, and he is very alert and tries to move around as much as he can.

What can I do to reverse the damage here other than sunlight and a better diet, and what can I do to get him eating veggies which he has zero interest in right now. He does eat if we place insects in his cage and tries to well, flop after them with relish, but veggies he just rolls his eyes at.

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok the obvious, what cage size is he in? What temps are basking, warm and cool side. How are they being measure? Do you have a handicap accessible basking spot for him?

Now then - I would strongly suggest seeing a vet first of all. An Xray is in order. First and foremost. This isn't something you can "guess" on. There are many other things that can cause paralysis in bearded dragons but yes MBD is one of them. Normally though if it were affecting the front legs that severely there would be other signs.

If you want to boost him up somewhat (I am seriously not sure where you live lol) you could try using Dubia Roaches instead of crickets, silkworms would also be a good choice as would phoenix worms. I would highly suggest silkworms because of their ability to reduce pain. Which I am sure he is in pain having to flop around. I would also strongly consider an MVB light in this case.

A few (seemingly stupid) questions I want to ask though because I'm nosy (sorry lol) if you pinch the front leg is there any pain reaction? I am not saying break a toe or anything but just any basic reflex action is what I am asking about.

Do you feel any hard spots in the joints or along the spine in the front end?

3. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Right now he is just being kept in a large tub on newspaper with a low basking block of wood that he can and has dragged himself onto, he is being kept in my reptile room which has a ambient temp of 80 and the surface temp of the block of wood is 92 using a temp gun. But he is also being placed outside in the sunlight in a large ferret cage, we did so for about four hours earlier today. He does seem to pull back on his legs if you pull on them, so there is some reaction there. I have noticed no bumps are anything of that nature on his spine, but he does seem to have a bump on his left shoulder, which may indicate a break.

I am trying to set up a vet visit, but my area is pretty slim on anyone who looks at exotic pets outside of the LSU school, which is where he is probably going to end up. Bare in mind that I only just picked him up today basically because other wise he was going to be euthanized by the store and they didn't want to go that far with him. So I have only had a few hours with him, and I am at school now so I really do not know what his status now is.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Even if he doesn't get seen by a "reptile" vet you can ask a regular vet to take X-rays and then find a vet in a neighboring city that is knowledgeable about beardies that they can consult with. Or ask your local fish and wildlife wardens who sees their exotic creatures. Sometimes they have a vet travel in and can arrange for that vet to see your animal.

5. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Try to raise the temps to about 105-110 if possible. And I do understand what you are saying totally about only having him a few hours, I used to run a reptile rescue (well by law I still do I guess) and I have seen many strange things. But any vet should be able to do a basic Xray of him and give you a copy. That would give some indication of the problem. So many things come to mind from intentional/accidental abuse to neurological defect.

6. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I vote for gut loaded roaches or silkworms also. It could be a dislocation if he still has feeling in them. like someone tried to pull him outta his tank and dislocated or broke his clavical. Tiger has given some good advice. the temp gun doesn't really tell you the surface temp on the basking block. you must have snakes right? You mentioned reptile room . What a lucky little guy to have had you find him. hope for the best! May

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

methos, I just lost an older dragon who was a rescue - she had history of MBD, GI problems and some other way back genetic crap who had serious arthritis issues also. She died from complication from a serious impaction. Anyhow the silkworms helped the calcium absorption, they are like baby food for lizard (easy to digest) and the serrapeptase is a natural NSAID product that will help swelling and pain. Now the thing is you don't need to feed strictly silks but a few a day will go a long ways for sure.

May I suspect your right, which is why I want an Xray. I believe someone either intentionally or accidentally did this and it could very well be fixed. But if it is something else, there are ways to help him.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the Temp-gun (if it`s in good working order) certainly DOES give the surface temp at the basking spot. The only other temp that matters is the coolest ambient (air), obviously the gun cannot measure that. ;)

9. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Yeah, I mostly keep Snakes and Turtles. I do have some iggies that I have had about three years now, but they stay outdoors year round so I have never had much issues with them and I keep monitors who's care is nothing at all like Breaded Dragons. I am going to try to see if I can get him Xray here at school, I work in the ecology lab as a student here so I might be able to get someone here to xray him for me. I just called the wife and she has been outside with for a few hours till he started gaping, and she brought him in and tried feeding him, but I think he is stressed right now. She did indicate that he tried fighting to be put back in the tub, and in her words seems to want to be held, take that as you will

10. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok gaping is ok. I know that sounds bad...but gaping is ok. Gaping is like a dog panting. They are at optimal body temperature and just cooling off. May I ask where you live? Even just the state? if you don't want to say I totally understand.

And of course he doesn't want to be in his enclosure...Their body is made to be supported on 4 legs. I have seen and successfully rehomed 3 legged lizards before and they seem to be ok with some special care. A lizard with only 2 legs - that is putting a great deal of pressure upon the rib cage, heart, liver and other upper organs (not to mention the abnormal constant bend on the spine). Once at a reptile show or expo or something or other I went to I did see a lizard who had both front legs amputated and he/she had a little cart to support the front of his/her body so I am not saying that this guy's life is over at all. I just believe its important to find the cause of the injury to determine if its treatable and if not then perhaps all our brains together we can see what can be done to make his life better.

11. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I live right outside Baton Rouge, so its in the mid 90's here right now

12. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I hope you can get Xrays and let me see if can get in touch with some folks in your area...I think I know 1 gal that is close to you might be able to help you out.

13. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Here is a quick vid of him, I tried getting him to move to no avail, but you can still see how bad off he is I think
    [video=youtube;9d2KcM2nhAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2KcM2nhAU&feature=*********[/video]

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well can you get pictures or video of him where your not holding him? ones that are well light but dont wash him out please.
    The video to me looks like his front legs are ok but his back legs might have issues. This is just based on how the legs were positioned. Also the coloration of his back legs...Are they pale?

Side not I know of one beardie that doesnt have any legs anymore and it has lived for 8years so far and is still doing fine.

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I kinda of agree with Tia, is it the front or back legs? it looks like the front legs are over muscled making and the rear legs are not in good shape.

16. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I think all his legs are bad, the front ones are well muscled but he still doesn't seem to use them at all, they just bend underneath him. Also I tried feeding him some kale and it really sounded as if his jaws was cracking from the chewing, just a really horrible sound. I'll try to get some better vids tomorrow after he wakes up. He is honestly the worst rescue I have ever taken in, and I have had some really bad off animals.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well X-ray and maybe blood test will be needed to determine the extent of the damage as well as how best to great it.

For now stick to squishy bugs and especially ones like Phoenix worms that are high in calcium

18. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

methos he looks like he has a good weight to him. Phoenix worms and/or silk worms definitely will not hurt. And ALOT Of outdoor time. I would also consider something like the Repti Boost or something like that to help him along since he won't eat salad and can't have all bugs.

19. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That poor dragon, breaks your heart.