This Disappears When Logged In

New Red Carpet Python Baby

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by toddnbecka, Aug 1, 2015.

1. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

We went to the Hamburg show today. Saw some great snakes, unfortunately didn't have $1250 on hand for the one blackhead python there though. Was thinking to bring home a new colubrid, almost did bring home a grey banded king, but I couldn't pass up this one. Same seller I got my jungle/cross carpet from last year, again no info on the lineage because they get all their stock from other breeders. Unsexed, but I'm thinking the fact that there's a pink highlighter mark on the back likely indicates a female. I can't picture a breeder marking a male with pink ink. Very mellow disposition, no hint of attitude or defensive behavior. Since it was so warm (actually hot, no a/c in the building) at the show and I didn't run the a/c in the truck on the way home she was quite alert and active when I did handle her a bit. I offered a fuzzy mouse before I placed her tub into the enclosure, and she went for it almost as quickly as any of the established snakes. Here's a pic taken after she ate and the tub was placed on the warm end of the enclosure.
    P1060694_zpsljwbpm1f.jpg

I've seen a fair number of baby carpets at reptile shows, but seldom any red ones that weren't bredli's, and none like this one. I figure she(?) will grow into a very nice looking adult. Since she apparently found the floor of the tank a bit warm and moved up onto a stick, I was able to get some more pics w/out too much disturbance.
    P1060695_zpsvezl0iv5.jpg

P1060698_zpsyemhldo6.jpg

P1060699_zpsrz44gvjp.jpg

Tried to show the belly with these, not entirely successful though. The fuzzy mouse has the scales spread rather wide, but after weeks of trying to get the (larger than this when he arrived) jungle/cross to take a fuzzy mouse until I finally offered a hopper I figured bigger is better to evoke a feeding response from a new baby carpet python. Incidentally, that one will happily take just about any size now, and has grown amazingly quickly.
    P1060704_zpsgfj3ppgc.jpg

P1060702_zpsldixmrvk.jpg