This Disappears When Logged In

New Program on Animal Planet Tells Story of Niles "Eating" Owner!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Og_, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

This sunday night March 14, 2010, Animal Planet will be airing a program called, "Fatal Attractions".

I saw the previews and saw some monitors in the ad. I looked it up on the animal planet website and the description of the program is as follows,
    "Man lived with seven large Nile monitor lizards in his small studio apartment, and woman shared her home with more than 20 venomous snakes and lizards."

These people were killed by their pets or else it would not be a program.
    In the preview, they vaguely said something about the niles chewing off the face of the owner!

It's only the careless that make the news!

2. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

I just saw the commercial for that today. It looks like an awesome show!! I'm not surprised it happened, I mean... Nile monitors are big and they are voracious eaters. I think people tend to forget that when they start callin' a wild animal a "pet." There's absolutely nothin' wrong with it for the most part, but animals tend to vary as much as humans in the way they react to things and I guess for that guy luck wasn't on his side.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think it was bad luck, more carelessness on the part of the owner/s! Water monitors (V.salvator) are known to feed on the bodies of dead people in India, meat is meat!

4. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Yeah, that's actually a better way to put it. When you're dealin' with a potentially dangerous animal you better know what you're doin'.

5. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

I can only think that the person might have died and then the monitor fed off of them...? It does look like a neat show, but this is the only glimpse of exotic animal ownership many people will see. Responsible owners aren't as interesting.

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This kind of over-dramatized and "scary" programme is injurious to the life and health of the basic human rights of all owners of exotic animals.

Animal Planet is getting out of hand and overboard with some of its recent stuff. It is way out of the realm of responsibility in program production and trying to present a balanced and objective view.

This will add more fuel to the fire for all the reptile/python bans trying to get passed as Law right now in the USA. I guess it ("Fatal Attraction") was given a nice boost too, by the horrible event of the killer whale trainer's being killed by "Tilikum the performing killer whale."

7. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

Yay, there is intelligent life on Earth, after all. Yours is the obvious answer (and the one used by the news agencies when this story first broke a couple of years ago).

I honestly can't understand why anyone watches that channel.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Because it does have some good shows on it. There are only a few that are like "fatal attraction"

A couple good shows are "Wild Recon"(every week) and "Venom in Vegas"(a one time show), and also before Steve Erwin died his show.

Animal cops is another good show.

There are a ton of good, beneficial shows on animal planet. There also happens to be a few not so beneficial shows, but, ALL channels have good and bad shows.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I don't know if the person died from natural causes or if it involved the monitors.
    Dogs and cats have been known to feed off the bodies of their owners that die. Starvation will cause all animals including us to eat whatevers available.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I agree Greg.

I also think that if you are going to show the good about something you should also show the bad.
    All things whether animals, people, cars, DVD players, etc... have pro's and con's associated with them. To me it's kind of hypocritical to look at one side and not the other, although I know it happens.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I don't know of any of you watched the program last night. They portrayed the man who died as an "Animal Hoarder" who was a loner and only cared about,"His job, his bodybuilding, and his reptiles"! Then entire show seemed bent on him and a woman who got bitten by a rattlesnake in her possession and died, as people on the fringe of society with no friends or life. They even had a psychologist giving her opinion as if both situations had to do with some kind of mental disorder! Animal Hoarding Syndrome!
    In the end they hypothisized that he died days later after being bitten on the thumb by one of his monitors spreading salmonella directly into his blood stream. His coworkers said that he came to work on a thursday showing off a deep wound on his thumb and that on monday he didn't show up for work and nobody ever heard from him again until family members called the police to go into his apartment.
    The show ends implying that he died from his wound and only after he died the monitors fed off of his corpse.

12. 09agleb

09agleb Elite Member

that show was really messed up...ive never heard of any type of lizard feeding off of a human, i didnt catch how he died though?

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The monitors that you saw in the program were not the actual animals that he kept! I saw a sav and many others that they used for film purposes because they are easy to handle, but the man was reported as having seven Nile monitors.

14. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

These are exactly the sort of dreadful shows I was referring to when I said that I couldn't understand why anyone watches that channel.

Call me odd, but if I'm going to watch a documentary about animals I'd like it to be about animals rather than about people. If an animal show is full of shakey, handheld shots of some bufoon's butt as he jumps on some poor reptile, screaming "CRIKEY, LOOK HOW AGGRESSIVE IT IS!" I'd rather switch channels, thanks. Those programs have very little to do with animals and more to do with the 'personalities' jumping on them, pretending to be doing something scientific. They're all the same, just different accents.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'm gonna have to call you odd then because those shows actually educate people on the different types of animals they come in contact with. They actually explain the KNOWN characteristics of the given spieces they are showing you wether that be aggresive or calm. While I agree that any animal would be aggresive if it gets startled, even humans first instinct is to fight/flight when they are startled, but that is short term stress for the long term good wether it be educational or samples for scientific research.
    And as everyone knows any tv station needs people to watch or it won't be a tv station for long so the "personalities" draw the people in to watch the educational programs. Even your documentaries need people to watch them or they won't be shown much because the tv station won't get the ratings if it is just a boring monologue with pictures. Personally I watch both types but the vast majority would rather watch a show with "personality" and that is what most tv stations provide.

16. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

Like the show in which Irwin got bitten by a Stegonotus (common, harmless snake) and pretended not to know what it was, so he had to look it up in a book to make sure it wasn't a venomous elapid (did I mention that they are one of the commonest snakes found in coastal Qld and every herper knows exactly how harmless they are?).
    or like the show in which Irwin referred to the Asian turtle Heosemys as a 'land tortoise'? Very educational on the different types of animals he came into contact with. Not.
    Like the time Terri Irwin raced up a tree to grab a black-headed python, explaining the known characteristic of this species as being arboreal? Wait, they're terrestrial. Imagine that. The cameraman placed it in the tree so he could film her climbing up to get it (filmed from above). They didn't tell you that, though.

That's educational about the known characteristics of that species. Not.

Confusing the words 'aggressive' and 'defensive' are what I hate most about these programs. Animals don't get aggressive when startled, they get defensive. When a TV buffoon holds a snake by the tail and says 'look how aggressive it is!' he's ignoring the fact that he's holding it by the tail. The animal is being defensive, as in trying to defend itself.

A classic example of both of the above (ie confusing aggressive with defensive and showing the wrong attributes of a species) was a show in which Irwin held a red-bellied blacksnake by the tail and kept screaming how aggressive it was. Every herper here knows that they're one of the mildest tempered of the big elapids in Australia, but what was really interesting about that show is that if you recorded it and watched it in slow motion (as I did), the snake was striking with a closed mouth. Red-bellies often do that to frighten off predators. In the meantime, the narrative we heard was "CRIKEY, LOOK HOW AGGRESSIVE IT IS, IT'S TRYING TO BITE MY LEG"

This may make entertaining TV for the American viewing audience, but in this country where people already have a fear and hatred of snakes, saying that a snake is more 'aggressive' than it is simply gives them another reason to kill them on sight. That's not educational, it's just money making TV while doing the snakes a disservice.
    This is another furphy of those programs, that they're doing 'scientific research'. Lol. Brady Barr insists that catching the biggest crocodilians he can find and then measuring them is somehow important scientific work. Ever seen a paper in a scientific journal called 'big crocodiles I have caught'? No. Funny that. What's more, it isn't just a little stress for a big crocodile - their physiology is such that they can't cope with lactic acid build-up and tiring them to the point of exhaustion as he does can lead to their death a few days later. By then the camera crew is gone, though, so we never hear about it.

If Donald Schultz really needed venom from a lace monitor he wouldn't have to go jump on a wild one, as there are hundreds of captives in Australia. I have over half a dozen right here at home. No 'wrassling' necessary. It would just make for bad TV. So is that educational science or TV fiction?

Only in your country. In other countries, such as here in Australia, the majority would rather watch documentaries in which you see the animals without people jumping on them and actually learn something about them. I've never seen anything vaguely educational on any of those other shows, just buffoons jumping on animals. The sad thing is, now that Irwin has made the trend popular, there are dozens of imitations out there following his lead. Even kids on youtube feel they must jump on wildlife to make it interesting.

I spend a lot of time out in the bush watching wild reptiles. There is so much more to learn by watching them than jumping on them - all you learn by jumping on them is how they behave when they're terrified for their lives.

Here's a photo of a gravid female heath monitor, Varanus rosenbergi, digging a nest in which to lay her eggs. It was taken out in the wild, through quietly watching her. If this were filmed on a buffoon show, all you'd see is that animal running for its life while some sod chased after it, screaming about how aggressive it was.
    93270351.jpg

Attached Files:

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

While I didn't see the 2 episodes you are refering to I have watch many of his shows and they were both accurate and informative. I'm sure even you with your "vast" knowledge of all herps have to look things up at times.
    And I'm sure you know this for a fact because you were there filming with then?? not. You can't say what they did or didn't do because you were not there. They could have very well found it in the tree even if it is terrestrial.
    As I stated in my last reply it's fight or flight. It can't run so it's gonna fight, that is aggression no matter how you look at it and again ALL animals wether they be human, reptile, avian, etc... will fight or flee when startled.
    They are GENERALLY not aggressive but that does not mean that they can't be aggressive. As everyone knows every animal is different and maybe the one you are talking about was aggressive.
    I have no clue who you are talking about so I can't comment on him and I don't know anything about crocodiles so I couldn't say what happens to them when they get tired. But, you can't say that they die because of what he does because as you say, your not there and they could in fact live long and healthy lives.
    Just like the poison dart frog there is the possibility that the potency of the lace monitor venom can be reduced in captivity so having venom from both wild and captive would be needed. And what makes you think he hasn't taken venom from a captive one?? Do you follow him around everyday?? I think not.
    You may THINK that people want to watch monologue documentaries but without the ratings of the peticular stations you are just speculating. Here in the U.S.A. we can find the ratings of the various stations programs and actually SEE what people watch the most.
    I agree that there are things that can be learned by watching them in the wild but there is just as much to be learned by getting "up close and personal"
    Now your just name calling. Calling people buffoons and sods just because you don't agree with them or the way they choose to learn/educate is just childish. You have absolutly no clue what any of them would do if they came across something like that.

Attached Files:

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am going to have to side with Crocdoc on this one.
    I have never cared for the programs like Irwin's and such due to the ludicrous behavior of the shows "stars". Its more about entertainment due to the stars' antics, and less about education.

I personally was always rooting for the poor pestered animal to turn and just bite the dickens out of them!:D

I wonder just how many kids, or grownups for that matter, have been injured attempting to recreate the behavior that they see on these shows. Not to mention, injury to the animals themselves. I recall a story about two young boys in Florida who thought jumping into the water on top of an alligator was the smart thing to do.

They had several days in the hospital to reflect on the wisdom of THAT!

As for putting that python in the tree in order to have a pretty shot, that is typical TV behavior. Irwin was filming a show in Florida where he "found" and played around with several venomous snakes, risking his very life!
    The only problem is that I happen to know the keeper that supplied the snakes that Steve-O "found". :rolleyes:
    They were kept stored in ice chests at a low temperature to slow them down so that they could be more easily handled during the filming.
    Everything you see on TV is not always as it appears.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m a fan of the great work Steve Irwin did and his friends and family continue to do, I believe in the main he tried to show how we should respect and protect these and other animals on this planet, but I agree with the others, in that everything is definitely NOT always how it may appear in these shows, sensationalism is the key in too many cases. (But I do try and watch, even if sometimes it`s obviously "staged") !

20. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I didn't watch this, but I'm not surprised that they portrayed him this way. There seems to be a lot of sensationalism around "hoarders" on television now.

And... i guess I'm an animal hoarder too LOL.

As far as the other shows, I don't have enough knowledge to watch and say that what they're saying is wrong. I do believe that there are things to be learned while watching the shows, but I also agree that there is a lot of hype to make it entertaining to watch.