This Disappears When Logged In

New Pit on the Way!!!

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by poomwah, Jan 10, 2014.

1. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

My daughter and I just put a deposit on this little guy, waiting for the weather to get warm enough for shipping
    MaleNorthernPineSnake1pic2_zpsh7f2bs7g.jpg
    Male 2013 Northern Pine
    Here is is mom
    Mom_zpsy0gper68.jpg
    and his dad
    NPinesire_zpsamffrj2b.jpg

While we are anxiously waiting for him, we are working on building him an enclosure

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

He's a beauty! Congratulations;) Big colubrids are great <3

3. poomwah

Thanks :] I can't wait to see him in person. He ships tuesday!!!
    I also found out how old he is, July 9.

4. poomwah

He's HOME!!!!

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Congrats! You must be soooooo excited! XD I remember the night before I was supposed to bring my snake home I could hardly sleep, I was so hyped up, lol;) How's he doing so far?

6. Enjoy! And post more pictures once he's all acclimated and camera ready:)

7. poomwah

Thank you, he's pdoing great. He's very alert and very active. He has more than enough aspen to burrow in , and three hides, he's been out more than he's been hiding. Right now, he's buried in the aspen except for his head and a couple inches of his neck sticking out. He watches intently when anyone moves near his enclosure, but not defensively, he doesn't retreat, he starts tongue flicking, lifts his head, and slowly moves toward the movement. If someone walks past the enclosure, he will follow them and start pressing his nose against the side of the enclosure in the direction they went. He's extremely curious.
    It turns out that the picture I posted (obtained from the breeders ad) turned out to be old, when that pic was taken, he weighed 68 grams, today he weighed 115 grams. Don't worry, I was gentle about it, before I opened his cup, I weighed it with him in it, then after he was safely in his enclosure, I weighed the empty cup and subtracted. He also stretched out against the front of the enclosure quite a few times making it extremely easy to put a tape measure against the glass. So, he is 115 grams and 25.5 inches long.
    We named him Chingachgook, after the character on Last of the Mohicans. I've always loved that movie, and am fascinated by many native american cultures.The name, I feel, is very appropriate, chingachgook means big snake. The name was derived from the Lenape language (closely related to the mohican language). The Lenape were a native american tribe indigenous to the New Jersey pine barrens. New Yersey Pine Barrens Northern Pine. It seemed to make sense to me, LOL
    20140114_110302_zps1h3eiyfa.jpg

8. poomwah

and to make things even better. This baby girl is on the way too :]
    IMG_9948_zpsa375c9bd.jpg
    she's a 2013 born in late august
    she will be here next tuesday morning, she just ate this morning and the weather is supposed to be cold this week so the breeder is shipping her out on monday . It's going to be a LONG week waiting. Her name is going to be Norma Jean, my wife is a big Marilyn Monroe fan.
    Here are her mother and father
    AA2737_zpse71f9799.jpg
    AA2736_zps798d579c.jpg

9. poomwah

forgot this one of chinga
    CAM01099_zpswtiouteu.jpg

10. poomwah

well, the bull snake is paid for but on hold until the weather breaks, it's not expected to get above freezing for quite a while, so obviously, not going to be shipping her here.
    Our pine finally ate, but then threw it back up :[

11. poomwah

here's the pine doing what he does 95 % of the time
    Chingachgook- Northern Pine Snake - YouTube

haven't got the bull snake yet, still waiting on the weather to warm up. been WAY too cold to ship.
    but got a pic tonight that the breeder took yesterday
    IMG_0066_zps1d68b3ba.jpg