This Disappears When Logged In

New Pets And Starting My First Breeding Project Soon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atroxus, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I picked up three new pall pythons today, and am starting first breeding project sooner than expected as a collaboration.

First is a proven breeder, 2300 Gram female Lesser that I got for $350. Named her Sylvanas. She has not been bred this year, as the previous owner is expecting a newborn baby any day now and is selling off her collection of snakes. They said she is ready to be bred now though.

20180217_200305.jpg

Second is an adult male Pastave. He was surrendered to the local reptile shop because the previous owner was underfeeding him. He needs to pack on some weight before he can breed, but otherwise seems healthy. Got him for only $100. Named him Ilidan.

20180217_125936.jpg

The third is a super pretty baby male Lesser that I picked up for $150. Sadly I forgot to snap a pic before putting him in his new home, and now that he is cowering in his new hide, I don't want to take him out again until he is acclimated. Named him Kadgar.

The lady who owns the reptile store is going to collaborate with my on my first breeding project. She has a male Super Mojave+Crystal+Pastel that she will let me breed to my new Lesser, then we are going to divvy up the babies, half to her, half to me. So we are going to give Sylvanas a week to get used to her new home then put the store owner's male in with her and see if they lock up. :)

2. Atroxus

Well my self control only lasted 6 days before I had to bring Khadgar out of his new enclosure to hold him. I finally have a picture to post though. He is a super cute lesser.

khadgar.jpg

I know I already posted a pic of Sylvanas, but my son wanted me to post a pic of him holding her as well. :) :) :)

sylvanas_joey_02_23_18.jpg

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I know man it's hard. That's one good looking lesser for sure! Thanks for sharing!!! :) love to see these pics.

Atroxus likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One warning. Do not allow a constrictor that size to coil completely around a child's neck. Even if it isnt aggressive, if the snake tenses and constricts it can cause the child to black out. Think sleeper hold that police use. It ta

5. Atroxus

Yup, I was within arms reach the whole time to make sure nothing bad happened to either of them. :)

I was weighing animals this morning, and it looks like the weight I was given for Sylvanas was off by quite a bit. I am not worried cause she looks a healthy weight, but she is 1800 grams rather than the 2300 I was told when I bought her. Since previous owner was also preparing to give birth I expect it was just an honest mistake confusing weight with that of another animal due to pregnancy hormones. I know my wife got super forgetful when she was pregnant too.

My adult male, Illidan is 800 grams, but underweight for his length. I can feel every rib when i hold him, but he finally ate a small rat for me 2 nights ago, and I plan to offer food every 4 days until he has more meat on his bones. Unfortunately he only eats live. The reason he is underweight is that the previous owner refused to feed live and only offered him frozen/thawed. Eventually I may try to transition him off of live food, to fresh killed, but for now my main concern is getting his weight up, so I'll give him what he wants.

6. Atroxus

Well, my wife is no longer allowed to go to the reptile store with me. She makes me buy more snakes. We went today to pick up my rack system that was finally delivered on wednesday, and to buy some feeder mice/rats. We ended up leaving with two new snakes. (Up to 7 now)

First is a female bumblebee leopard 100% het pied. We named her Derpy due to her minor spider wobble. My wife and I fell in love though cause she is so stinking cute! This time I remembered to take pics before putting them in their new enclosures and going hands off though. :)

Derpy_20180224.jpg

Second is a male visual normal 100% het pied(dam genetics are uncertain but sire was visual pied) that was suggested to help round out the gene pool for my future breeders. We named him Nefarian, which turned out to be more fitting than we expected. He is an eating machine. He ate two mice tonight in the same amount of time that it takes our other smaller snakes to eat *one*. o_O

Nefarian_20180224.jpg