This Disappears When Logged In

New Orange Biak!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by JoeyG, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Okay so I couldn't help myself, I bought another GTP :) I've been trying to fine a red one and finally I found an orange/reddish Biak. I've seen a few but not the locality I wanted so it took awhile. I had found one but there were some issues with the breeder ( I was looking for different blood line, not his fault). Anyway after all the ones I've seen I bought this one today!! Unfortunately he can't ship because of weather but atleast he's mine now! :D Anyway I wanted to put the picture they had on their site up. I'm hoping to get current pictures soon. As you all know GTPs are additive and I have the bug :x Just want to add a few more so I can learn to deal with babies and eventually move on to my dream of breeding a few (just for fun not looking to be a breeder but I do love the species). Andrea, I'm sure can back me up on this but they are simply gorgeous animals!

[​IMG]

2. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

Where did you get it from??

3. JoeyG

Went with ben siegel reptiles in florida

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations Joey! That's a beauty!!
    Make sure the breeder says it's eating reliably before he ships it!! ;)

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous little guy!

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

What a pretty little thing.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Congratulations! I've never seen an orange one. :)

8. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I've never seen an orange one too! I think I like it better than the green ones!

9. JoeyG

They all start either yellow (most common I think) or red, the orange is just a slight variation of the red. They come in really dark red too. I'm hoping to get some really nice color out of the orange, since they all end up green it's just a matter of what shade and what patterns they keep. I'm excited to get to watch them change :D

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Lovely color, like a pumpkin!

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

All of them end up green? Whether they're yellow, red, or orange as babies?

Why does it matter what color they are to begin with then? :)

12. JoeyG

The color as babies is due to their parents. What ever color the parents were as babies dictates mostly how the babies will be. I honestly don't know why yellow and red, I can only imagine it fits their enviorment better when they're small. I do know that the different colors gravitate towards enviorments that fit their particular color as though they know what they are. Kind of cool huh? Some even as adult keep alot of yellow (high yellow) but I've never seen one keep red markings. They also can be blue as adults!

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That is super cool! I can see how they are so addicting! You have a habit now sir! :)

14. JoeyG

Yup I do :x Once you get to mixing up all the different ones is where you get some awesome colors. Too expensive for my blood though, I've seen them being sold for close to 10,000! I like their natural colors and once mine get old enough I'd like to think I could someday breed them, I do it just to watch them nothing else. But I do still have a few more on my list ;) Though speaking of habits... miss I have every anole in the world basically :-"

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

ha ha you are so right about that! I am currently trying to figure out how I can take a species from Mexico from a friend! :x

16. JoeyG

I'm no different, I just bought one today and I already started working on my wife about getting another one ;|(| When will it end! :D

17. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

They don't ALL turn green, some are blue and some remain yellow.

18. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

That one is amazing BB!
    However, those are special high end "designer" morphs. They have been bred to look that way.
    I seriously doubt you'd ever find something like that in the jungles of New Guinea or Indonesia.
    As Joey and James said, adult GTPs can also be yellow (Canary) or blue, but the majority of the locality types found in the wild will have a baby color of yellow with red or brown patterns or red with yellow or white patterns (the reds range from almost brown-black and maroon to light orange) The yellow and red colorings protect the juvenile GTPs from predators. The younger stay closer to the ground and in some cases the birds that would be their greatest predators cannot perceive these colors.
    These naturally occuring chondro types will usually change to mostly green as adults. The adult chondros move higher up in the jungle canopy and thus the green is a logical camouflage. Depending on locality, this green can range from a creamy color to bright yellow-green, to a deep blue-green or a mix of tone and markings of those colors. Some will have green with a lot of white spots or a line of white spots along the spine, some green with blue, green, white or yellow patterns, some will be light green with dark green freckles and some will have splotches of yellow.

There is often an argument about which is "better": locality breeding or designer breeding. I think Greg Maxwell makes an excellent point in his book. Breeders are all doing a type of "unnatural" selective breeding. I choose to breed "Sorong"-locality types: green with blue patterns/markings. But I do not know the geneology of my snakes back to their wild-caught ancestors. So my efforts to breed a "pure" Sorong line, is really just me breeding for green with blue markings. (Greg would argue that this is not terribly different from someone breeding a high yellow adult with a blue freckled adult to get a special color combination.)
    It's an argument that goes on a lot between designer breeders and locality-type breeders.
    (Sorry if I hijacked your thread here, Joey. I just wanted to clear up some things about the colors.)

20. JoeyG

Not al all :D I love talking about GTPs and more so learning! I'm all ears when you're talking about these beauties! I wished I had your experience, hopefully with more time I'll get there :)