This Disappears When Logged In

New Monitor Lizard Help !!!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dakotah, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What have you covered the screen with? The biggest problem with smaller fishtanks is the lack of height which means the heat bulbs are usually outside the enclosure rather than inside with a solid top enabling a self contained environment.
    Mealworms are o.k, although non of my monitors have ever been interested in them (much more nutritious foods available).
    The monitor needs to be in a much more supportive enclosure urgently, this is one of the most critical times of their life.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

If he seems eager to eat crickets maybe that will work for you at least temporarily to get your lizard feeding. You can also pinch off the hind legs of the crickets to make them easier to catch.

3. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

The day before yesterday I went ahead and installed a beta tank heater in his water bowl when I woke up yesterday he was completely submerged in the water and the heater quit working and he was freezing cold/dead I went ahead and threw away the heater and stuck a heat mat underneath the tank underneath the water bowl and that seems to be heating it up right at 80 last night he was doing a lot better he actually ate five goldfish I dried them off before I gave it to him that way dirt wooden stick to them I'll go ahead and try to give him another 5 to today and I use pieces of Lewan I had laying around to cover the screen seems to be trapping the humidity in there I just purchased the lumber today to build his permanent enclosure

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What is the basking surface temp, @ 108f it was much too low?
    I wouldn`t advise feeding too many goldfish, much better are small "bait" type fish/similar (over here they`re called sprats and whitebait/other) you can also buy a larger fish such as trout and cut it into small pieces (including the bones, skin, guts) both salt and freshwater types are acceptable as are mussels, whelks, etc (the species has salt secreting glands)..
    Personally I heat the water to between 85 to 90f because they might spend a relatively long time in the pool (that doesn`t necessarily mean they are dehydrated) it`s just what they may choose to do.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

No his basking areas is 120 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit now with the new 150 watt bulb in it.. in his pool I put a small Betta heater that quit working in the middle of the night and it dropped the water down to 60 degrees and he was completely submerged in it lifeless but he's doing a lot better now I put a heating mat underneath his pool that keeps it 80 to 90 degrees

murrindindi likes this.
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How`s the monitor doing now?

7. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

He's doing very good he's eating all sorts of stuff. The exactly where do you get your food I know you said trout and I can cut it up in pieces but do you go to a bait shop for your Bait fish or pet store or what. And now that I fixed his water I find him sleeping in it a lot more he's been exploring all the areas ran into a few snags and building the new enclosure but I should be back on it this week I've been somewhat handling him only if you lets me I did notice that I believe his tail was broken at some point he has no movement in it and it looks like it's it's kind of cockeyed with a lump if I touch his tail I can feel it try to tense up but he can't move it

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I buy the trout at the fish market, the same with the smaller types, but it`s acceptable to get the latter from a bait shop.
    I doubt the monitor wants you to handle it, even if it isn`t evident to you I would think it`s extremely stressful for the animal.
    Can you get a photo of the tail without any handling?

9. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

Okay I'll look around for a few different feeding ideas

Attached Files:

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes there`s definitely is (or has been) a problem with the tail, if the rest of the tail ridge is "wavy" I would guess it may have been mbd? Can you get a photo of the whole tail and crop the pic to zoom in?

11. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

Here is a few pictures I was able to get

Attached Files:

12. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

And the calcium powder im using

Attached Files:

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it`s as you suspect, the tail has been broken at some point, although the blood supply must be getting through or the tail tissue would die off (in the photos it doesn`t look as if it has) but keep a close eye on it, if it starts to shrivel it may need to be amputated.
    I would make sure you feed whole prey items only (including a decent percentage of vertebrates) the calcium supplement is mostly guesswork.