This Disappears When Logged In

New Monitor Lizard Help !!!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dakotah, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

I just recently rescue a Nile monitor when I received him he seemed very lethargic and not eating he is temporarily in a 80 gallon reptile enclosure 850 watt basking lamp a hundred watt heating coil and a UVB bulb I know this substrate is wrong but it's all I had at the moment which was reptile bark any help would be highly appreciated

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and say what the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and how you measure all those?
    I think you made a mistake in saying you use an 850w bulb?

3. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

The Ambient Air Temperature is about 81 the humidity is about 50 and basking is about 110 degrees and both are measured by just ordinary thermometers I'm in the process right now building a bigger one for him he was rescued from a pet store that was going under and the guy didn't care for him at all and just gave up

Attached Files:

4. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

I'm also using 150 watt basking lamp and 100 watt ceramic heater

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, can you give the tank size in inches or cm and can you get a pic of the whole top from above?
    It`s absolutely urgent that you get a digital hygrometer and an IR Temp-gun to accurately measure ambient, surface temps and humidity range. I know the hygrometer can be bought from Walmart or Lowes for around $13, not sure where you get the Temp-gun but they are quite cheap (try Amazon or eBay).
    You need to add some chemical free soil and playsand even if only 6 to 9 inches in depth (firmly tamped down) at a ratio of around 70% soil to 30% playsand. You also need to add much more cover (plastic plants, etc).
    If the tank has a screen top it needs to be covered as completely as possible, kitchen foil will work temporarily.
    The compact UVB bulb is virtually useless, I would remove it immediately (UVB exposure at this time is not that important) the temps, humidity and a whole prey diet including a decent % of vertebrate prey should ensure the monitor maintains it`s D3 levels (but you can offer more suitable UVB bulbs/tubes later if you wish)..
    I cannot see a specific basking spot, where is it and what brand is the basking bulb?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, needed more time (slow typing finger)...
    You basically need to know two temps, the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 24c (75f) then the surface of the basking object @ between approx 50 to 60c (120 to 140f).
    Nighttime ambient no lower than approx. 21c (72f) including under the substrate.
    The humidity should range between appox 50 to 75%, the lower figure willl be immediately around the basking area.

7. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

The tank is 4 ft long 2 ft wide and almost 2 feet tall yes it does have a screen top I'm going to cover completely and when you say soil you mean like potting soil or just regular soy in the backyard the Basking lamp is 150 watt Zoo Med and the Basking spot is a ceramic branch that's about half a foot underneath the Basking lamp itself reaching temperatures to 100 to 110. When we first got him he was freezing cold the cloth that the guy had in there was soaking wet and cold as well he would barely move wouldn't open his eyes he's gotten a little bit more movement in him now but he seems real out of it I tried to leave him be other than just to check on the temperature and humidity I'll have to order a temperature gun and digital hydrometer tonight

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I need to log out shortly but keep posting, I`ll be back here tomorrow (monday evening) my time, I`m around 5 hours ahead of you.
    Once you`ve covered the screen the temps will rise and you`ll need to be careful not to overheat the whole enclosure (obviously you can`t check the temps accurately just now, so the sooner you can get the gauges the better) the humidity will rise somewhat too, which is o.k. You might also cover the sides and back with thin plywood/similar to offer more privacy (even cardboard will do for now) just tape it around the top and bottom edges on the outside
    "Normal" backyard soil is fine but make sure no chemicals have been used, it needs to be slightly moist but not wet and packed well down as I mentioned earlier.
    Don`t be surprised if the monitor doesn`t eat normally at this time because it`s bound to be stressed, and once the temps etc are where they should be, the animal is likely to spend quite a lot of time hiding.
    Absolutely no forced handling unless it`s a genuine emergency....
    If you have time and you haven`t already, please read the careguide I put up about the captive care of the Nile and the Asian water monitor.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, have you managed to get the gauge and Temp-gun and how is the monitor doing?

10. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon should be here tomorrow I purchased the humidifier a temperature gun and a bunch of fake foliage to hang up .I'm going to Lowe's now to go see if they have some kind of soil and play sand. my backyard is still a little Frozen. I'm also going to grab a piece of plywood to lay over the top screen I have tin foil on it now. I purchased a digital hydrometer and temperature gauge this morning I've been trying to keep the humidity at least around 60..temps on the cool side of the tank is about 75 to 80 degrees and on the Basking side from the bottom is is 90° to 110 at the top but I've noticed he doesn't go to the top he just lays on the ground I also put up cardboard around the sides to give him privacy other than that he hasn't really done much or changed

Attached Files:

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I wouldn`t bother using the humidifier, once you install the substrate and cover the top the humidity range will probably be suitable.
    If the basking site is exposed the monitor will be reluctant to use it, you need to make sure the area has lots of cover, in fact the animal should be able to move throughout the enclosure almost without being seen.
    When leaving (non moving) food items the same applies, put them close to cover, not in the open, obviously live insects will roam freely.
    Any water used for bathing needs to be heated to at least 27c (80f) though the current container isn`t big enough to use an aquarium heater, do you have anything around 5 gallons that would (a 50w heater would be sufficient for that amount)?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  12. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help. Yesterday I watched him eat a mealworm for the first time so I know he's gaining an appetite but he still seems weak . the rest of my stuff from Amazon should show up tomorrow. And I'll probably go ahead and pull him out and switch all his soil and mess with his enclosure while he's out. I have some 50 lb bags of play sand and I dug up a couple 5 gallon buckets full of dirt. At the moment that's all I have for his bathing but I am going to go ahead and purchase a big bucket and cut the top of it off for when I build his big enclosure

13. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Is it the exo terra terrarium?
    Natural Terrarium Large/Wide
    90 x 45 x 45 cm / 36” x 18” x 18” (WxDxH)
    That's the biggest footprint they make. There are two that get taller but that one looks square on the hight/depth.
    You'll be building in no time.

14. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

It's just temporary till this weekend I'm building an 8 ft long 4 ft wide 5 ft tall enclosure with a built-in small koi pond hopefully that will be plenty

15. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Good good.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, did you get the digital hygrometer and Temp-gun and if yes, what are the temps (basking surface and ambient) plus the humidity range, and how is the monitor doing?

17. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

Yes I did the temps on the cold side are 75 and on the hot side on the ground or 80 his basking area is 108 and his water temp is 79 the new substrate is doing wonders he seems to be a lot more energetic he's eating about 20 crickets a day and about 10 mealworms all coated with D3 vitamin his humidity stays around 60 or higher

Attached Files:

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The basking surface temp needs to be between approx. 120 to 140f, can you get a photo of the whole top and the basking bulb?
    Have you tried offering fish or other vertebrate animals such as small f/t or f/k mice (fuzzies)?
    Supplements are mostly guesswork, easy to over/under do them.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I use the relatively low wattage halogen bulbs (must be flood beam) either par 30 or par 38, used with ceramic bulb holders, very cheap but very effective.... I need to use more bulbs because of the monitor`s size...
    189.JPG

013.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. Dakotah

Dakotah Member

I'm currently using the 100 watt but I'll go ahead and put the 150 back in I do have fuzzies and I also have fish I haven't tried giving them to him yet because he seems to even struggle eating mealworms but for some reason he'll chase after crickets

Attached Files: