This Disappears When Logged In

New Member With Atb Question

Discussion in 'Boas' started by JustinCW, Jun 24, 2016.

1. JustinCW

JustinCW Member

Hi guys,
    I'm Justin. I recently acquired an Amazon Tree Boa. I've been doing research on them for a while, but there isn't much I can find. All of my experience is with Ball Pythons. I was wondering if, with a big enough enclosure, could atb's be cohabbed?

Thanks!!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I would definitely not combine them with ball pythons.
    I'm sure there's differences in husbandry that will negatively affect one or the other, not to mention the potential stress on either snake from sharing an enclosure.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

4. JustinCW

JustinCW Member

Oh, yeah, I wasn't going to cohab with the ball Their requirements are way too different, not to mention the stress to my ball. I was asking if I could cohab more than one atb in the same enclosure.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Oh wow, I totally misunderstood that.
    My mistake! Sorry :D

6. JustinCW

JustinCW Member

Lol. It's cool. I have had BP's since high school, but this is my first atb. I want to custom build an enclosure for her, but I'd like to add more.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Cohabbing could be a problem if you feed them in the enclosure. ATB's aren't likely to eat each other normally, but if one grabs the other end of something the other is eating it could go bad quickly. They aren't really a good snake for handling in general, more of a display animal. Longer teeth than most boas, and they would break off easily if you jerked when bitten,
    Better idea would be to build a larger enclosure with a divider to separate them if you don't want completely separate enclosures.

JustinCW likes this.
  8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would highly recommend separate enclosures. They are not a species your going to want to have to handle during feeding, plus the possible issues of one becoming sick and transmitting it to the other, thus doubling the potential vet bills, are really not worth trying to save on cage space.

JustinCW likes this.
  9. JustinCW

JustinCW Member

Thanks for your help! I think I am going to go with separate enclosures. I don't want to cause any unnecessary stress.

10. JustinCW

JustinCW Member

Thanks for your help! I do normally feed in the enclosures. After doing some more research, I have decided on separate enclosures.