This Disappears When Logged In

New Member to the Family: Dracarys!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by SpookyCheerios, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SpookyCheerios

SpookyCheerios Elite Member

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0408.jpg

He is healthy and happy (besides one stressful thunderstorm last night)! He has beautiful red stripes on his back and his tail is bright red. He has gobbled up 10 medium crickets since he came home ^^. He is very curious and active (running around and licking everything). He actually gave me quite a fright last night when he jumped from my hand to my shirt and then curled up there.

A few things that have caught my eye though, he has been eye bulging a couple times while basking? What does this mean? Also his first poop was a little mushy, but after a stressful storm last night I'm not all that surprised. It is being taken to the vet to check for parasites though (it is also pretty stinky).

2. Genko

Genko Elite Member

He's so cute. How old is he?, he's so little. :)

Genko

3. SpookyCheerios

He actually looks smaller in the photo than he really is xD He's at least 6" and he should be about 2 months, maybe a little older.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a cutie!

5. SpookyCheerios

He just fell asleep after some running around, he snuggled right up into my shirt on my chest and I turned out the lights and put the couch blanket over him and he feel right to sleep. He is so adorable and I keep going "awwww" every time he does something adorable.

How can I get him interested in his salad? I left him one while I was at work today, but he would only eat it if my bf and I held it up in front of him. He likes the greens (escarole and chollard greens) and shredded up green beans, but doesn't seem to like butternut squash, he kept turning his head from it.

6. SpookyCheerios

When I put Dracarys to bed at night he is out like a light with a nice creamy colored belly, but each time I have gone to wake him up he has been awake and on his driftwood with stress marks galore! I'm getting up at 8 and going out to him first thing and 3 sides of his tank are covered with sketchbook paper (thicker than computer paper). The room he is in gets a lot of morning light which is why I put the paper up. Is there anything else I can do? I've read that a lot of people will keep small fleece blankets in the enclosure and this keeps morning light out and body temps in. Does anyone else do this? Is it a good idea?

7. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Is he waking up before his lights go on and that's what you're concerned about? When I first got my bearded dragon he kept waking up about an hour before lights on and falling asleep an hour before lights off, so I just changed his light schedule to fit his routine.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why? When its daylight, it's time to get up!
    You are not thinking "reptile." They have no body heat to keep in. That only works with warm blooded creatures.

9. SpookyCheerios

I was thinking more about how warm he is when I turn off the light, wouldn't the blanket hold in that warmth a little? The reason I put the paper up is because that room has windows facing the rising sun, so if fills with light earlier than I wake up so I can't turn his light on yet

He's clearly stressed in the morning, he is all black and covered in stress marks. For the past two days I have given him a bath while his enclosure was warming up and his colors come back right away, but the stress lines kind of linger. Then I keep him on my chest while I watch a show and place a blanket or my hand over him to keep him warm after the bath, by then the stress lines are mostly gone and I feed him breakfast. I just want to figure out how to avoid the morning stress completely. Could it just be because he's still adjusting?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The blanket might hold temperatures in a bit but if the enclosure is the proper temperatures it would not be needed.
    Put it on a timer. They do better with having their day/night cycle regulated. Not just when we decide to turn it on.

11. Majora

Majora Elite Member

If you get a timer it'll make life so much easier for both of you. I've found that bearded dragons tend to be very set in their wake up/go to sleep schedules so they really appreciate the regularity of a timer. Then you can just set it to go on st the same time as it naturally starts to get light out.

12. SpookyCheerios

I have been on a schedule (light off at 8, on at 8). I have just been making sure I am up or home. A timer would make it a lot easier however. Trust me though, he's not adjusting to my schedule, I am adjusting to his lol. He already has me trained.

13. SpookyCheerios

Oh I also covered the sides because I was told it would help with the stress of adjusting and my father's room opens up to the room he is in and he keeps his light on Pretty late.

14. SpookyCheerios

Is it normal for a beardie to sometimes release a urate without pooping? He usually poops a couple hours after waking up in the middle of one of his slate tiles in his enclosure, but during his bath this morning he released a urate in the water without poop attached.

(tests came back parasite free btw!)

Should I hold off on the crickets this morning and just give him his salad?

Also, he only eats 6 or so crickets at a time, 3 times a day and his salad. The woman at the store told me he was eating mediums, but from what I've seen online most people feed their's small crickets still. He doesn't have any problem with the mediums (that I've seen) should I go to smalls, or is this why he eats less than the normal 10+ per meal?

15. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I don't think mine has released a urate without pooping too. Then again my guy generally only poops once a day, so that may be why he does it all at the same time.

I've always fed mine crickets that were roughly the same size or smaller than the space between his eyes. I believe that's the general accepted guideline? I got Majora at around 2 1/2 months of age, and he was eating smalls then, but he only stayed on those for a few weeks. I don't know how much is normal for a baby bearded to eat, but I've always heard they eat a ton, and mine ate anywhere from 40-80 in a day when I first got him (letting him eat 2x a day as much as he wanted in five or ten minutes).

16. SpookyCheerios

Yeah, mine is a little over 2 1/2 and technically the mediums are the size between (most of them anyway, some I have to avoid). I do the letting him eat as much as he likes, but he only eat about 6 and then gets fed up with them. I do 3 meals a day because of this, but every's sound like their's eat much more. I know he had a submissive/dominance thing going on with one of the other beardies in the tank at the store though too, so part of me wonders if he just wasn't eating as much there. His weight looks fine though.

17. SpookyCheerios

When we first got Dracarys he was shedding his tail, which because of what he looked like and what I have been told, I assumed that he shed his tail last and was just finishing his shed. Well, he was eating less than most beardies until one day he refused crickets altogether. He was tested negative for parasites and his temps are all perfect so I began to worry that I had another Nym case. I woke up the next day and went to go take him out for his bath and noticed that he was suddenly wickkked pale and it dawned on me. He continued to stay pale and grumpy for almost two days, but when we got home yesterday he had finally broken the skin up and begin shedding it off (we think he rubbed himself in his salad because there was salad everywhere!) he was very alert and running around like he was before he got all grumpy so I decided to give him his dinner and he ate 24 crickets! This was so much more than his normal 6 and I was so astonished/happy <3

18. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

very cute! he's sucha little guy! its fun to watch theses guys grow!! have fun with this little guy!

19. SpookyCheerios

He's about 8" right now, knowing that he's only a couple months old makes me wonder how old the itty tiny babies at the pet stores are =\

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They will eat a ton of crickets in their first 9 months, I would go through about 1000 crickets every 3 weeks.

Glad to hear that he is eating good, feed several times a day, they have a high metabolism.