This Disappears When Logged In

New Member Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by owias12, Jun 28, 2018.

1. owias12

owias12 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm brand new to the forum and wanted to take a second to say hello and give a little info about myself. My wife and I are homeschoolers and I am a public school teacher for children with special needs. Our 3 year old son has shown a very strong interest in reptiles and amphibians, especially frogs. We have a small pond on our property which is home to many different species of frogs, toads, snakes, and other animals. We spend a great deal of time outdoors observing, taking pictures and researching the different species we find. (we do not keep them, everything is released back into the wild)
    One thing we have noticed over the last several months, as we share info and photos with friends and family of the different creatures we find, is the fear and concern people have of these animals, especially letting our son get so close to them. I however have a completely different attitude about things. I grew up loving the outdoors and exploring and learning about animals.
    My wife and I have decided that we would like to begin building up our collection of reptiles and amphibians to help educate others within the homeschool realm, as well as a possible means of animal therapy for some of the students I teach. We are remodeling a room in our house which we plan to use to house our animals. Some friends of ours over the past several months have donated aquariums to us. We have a 100 gallon tank that was going to be just thrown away, a few 20 gallon long tanks and some 10 gallons. We currently only have two reptiles, a ball python and crested gecko.
    We are eventually going to invest in a small snake rack system and perhaps build a large enclosure to use for a bearded dragon, or something similar. Another thing we are looking into doing is trying to rescue different animals.

I look forward to learning from everyone here. If anyone has any suggestions as to what animals would best be suited for the aquariums we have been given, it would be greatly appreciated. We are still not certain we want to house snakes in them, as we prefer the tubs.

Take care.

Brian

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only danger to a 3 year old is the fact that things tend to go into their mouthes. This is a salmonella risk. Supervised handling and making sure hands are thoroughly washed after handling should prevent any issue

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Since your son likes frogs you could house a number of different kinds of "beginner" amphibians in the 10 and 20 gallons you have.

Several species of tree frog come to mind as well as pacman frogs and toads.