This Disappears When Logged In

New Leo Not Eating

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by GoldenGoat, Jan 30, 2018.

1. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

Picked up a beautiful leo last Saturday from a small local breeder.
    Shes about 4 inches long, nice fat tail, and according to the breeder was feeding on crickets and superworms.
    I tried starting her on mealworms, no interest. Yesterday picked up some crickets, also no interest. I've left a dish with dusted mealworms as well as a calcium dish in the tank, but neither have seemed to be touched.
    She's also staying solely in her warm hide (93F), although she did poop near the middle of the tank (for reference cold side is around 70).
    She's also still pretty skiddish, i haven't tried to handle her since i brought her home but she even shies away from the crickets and feeding tongs.

Should i try superworms? Or should i give her a few more days to settle in? When/after how long of her not eating should i start to be concerned?

Picture of tank and her below

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

How are you measuring the temperatures?

I think you should give the new gecko some time to adjust

3. iRene

iRene Elite Member

They take time to settle in. If her tail is fat I would leave her alone. Leave a dish of mealworms in the cage. If you are constantly changing things in the cage she will not settle. Lizards can easily go a day or several without eating. The more you fuss with her food and every thing rhe longer she will take to get used to you.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

First off, no handling or attempts at tong feeding until it's eating on it's own. It's not unusual for any new reptile to go off feed for a bit. Give it a week or so, that tail is plenty fat and it needs time to get used to the new environment. You can just leave some crickets in the cage and see if they start disappearing. Just leave a piece of carrot or apple in there too and the crickets won't pester the lizard. And yes, knowing how your measuring temps might help, as a lot of what is available for reptiles has proven to be innacutate junk.

5. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

I measure temps with a heat gun!
    Still no eating but im leaving her alone still

6. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

Woke up today to her cage completely destroyed with shed! Only saw a pieces here and there so im assuming she ate a good portion of it. Cleaned it up and sprayed it down some more to help her get rid of some remaining shed on the top of her head. She proceeded to run around the entire perimeter of the cage for awhile, something she didnt do when i first brought her home. Hopefully will start to see her eat some worms and crickets! Thanks all