This Disappears When Logged In

New Jungle Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Andyc3020, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

thanks. :)

I thought the same thing until I googled Indian rock python.

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

4.2oz before feeding this week. Just keeping a journal here. I guess I should keep up with her length too. It's hard to keep her stretched out long enough to measure.

- - - Updated - - -

Rz8F07f.jpg

crappy pic, but it's all I have right now.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I have to get a camera.

Nj73nAG.jpg

PIEjmig.jpg

ytYEuWP.jpg

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Irie is over 3' long now. I forgot to weigh her. She is doing well and is easy to handle.

w87743n.jpg

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

BsHez4P.jpg

Just thought I'd add an image. It's been a while.

6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

nPcPhhD.jpg

She was about to shed in this pic, but that never stops her from eating.

Attached Files:

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

How much has she grown in a year now? I picked up a baby jungle cross at the Hamburg show last month, about the same size as yours was when you got her. Great disposition, has never struck or bitten anyone.
    Perched on the edge of the 29 gallon tank when I brought it home:
    P1060479_zps5e18c7a3.jpg
    I've had a hard time getting it (unsexed) to eat, was here for a couple weeks before it finally took a f/t fuzzy mouse. About a week after that went into shed, then seemed interested in a f/t quail chick, then a f/t hopper mouse, but wouldn't eat either one left overnight.
    I finally drove 1.5 hours to pick up a couple live baby mice. Bugger killed the smaller/fuzzy one, looked it over for a while, then left it. The fuzzy went into the freezer, my little corn snake takes f/t w/out hesitation.
    Then I offered the live hopper, and it quickly ate that one. The f/t quail chicks are about the same size as f/t rat pinks, which were also refused.
    I'm thinking it only wants live prey, must have been really hungry to take the f/t mouse. Do I need to offer it larger prey to get it to eat f/t?

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I think it was a week before I first offered food, and she ate it without hesitation. Are you moving it out of its enclosure to feed? I never do. I started her out on frozen thawed mouse fuzzies and moved up rather quickly. She's over 4 ft now and eating medium sized rats very easily. I put thawed rats in a ziplock bag and put them into warm water for a few minutes before offering them, and I think it helps. Also, I don't just drop the rat into the cage and hope she eats it, I use some tongs and dangle it in front of her to get her attention. I wouldn't worry though. Some snakes are just better eaters than others. I bet yours gets better over time. Beautiful snake by the way!

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Another thing, what is the temperature of its basking spot? If it's too cool, it may not eat. Do you have any more pics of the enclosure?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  10. toddnbecka

I have a 150w ceramic heat bulb over the screen top, with all but a 6" square in the middle closed off with foam board to help maintain humidity, that's normally around 40-50%. Small tub of wet sphagnum moss to add humidity, the ceramic heat bulb bakes the moisture right out.
    The carpet typically hangs out at the top right corner, behind the silk ivy, temp there is 92-93. Sometimes on the lower shelves, usually close to the same temp, the thermal gradient is vertical. I don't move it out of the enclosure to feed, haven't been handling much or often thinking that may have been affecting it.
    How often does yours shed? That growth rate just boggles my mind, my DRMB's and corn snake eat regularly but don't grow anywhere near that much so quickly.

P1060545_zpsb2c4e137.jpg

P1060544_zps714e9423.jpg

P1060541_zps34e552d1.jpg

There were 3 of them at the seller's table, a pet shop that had taken a number of reptiles in on trade, not much info on their origins. They all looked pretty identical on colors and markings, but this one was visibly larger than the other 2. They told me it had been eating live mice, didn't specify size though. I really like the pattern, not the typical stripes of bands I've seen in most carpet python pics. Price was only $60, so I figured I'd take a chance, hoping the disposition would still be as good when it was warmed up properly as when I handled it at the show. Methinks I got lucky, very mellow snake and seems healthy, just having a hard time finding live mice while I wait for my group to start producing. I mainly want to get it established eating regularly, then switch to fresh killed, then f/t. Here's a couple newer pics taken shortly after the shed:

P1060523_zps86c8471b.jpg

P1060521_zpsacec90c8.jpg

11. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Beautiful animal!

12. toddnbecka

Looking at the pics (and at the snake in person) it doesn't appear skinny at all, somewhat surprising considering how little it's eaten in the past month. It doesn't have the high contrast between bright yellow and black like your jungle, that's really eye-catching, particularly as the snake gets larger.
    I saw a much larger pair of coastal carpets at the pet shop where we got the mice. Same general colors as mine, more typical banded pattern though, but gives me some idea of what it will grow into.

13. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

It is a little surprising that yours won't eat. I have heard most carpets described as "garbage disposals". Are you just putting the mouse in the enclosure, or are you dangling it in front of the snake? Also try warming it up the way I described.

14. toddnbecka

I warmed the f/t hopper up when I thawed it out, and dangled it by the tail over the snake to get his/her attention. There was a lot of tongue flicking as the snake stretched out toward the mouse, but instead of going for the mouse it seemed more interested in bypassing it and climbing to my hand. I dropped the mouse on the top layer of foam, and the snake didn't seem interested then. The one f/t it did eat previously was simply placed near where it was resting, and was gone the next day. I had read a couple times something about pythons not being interested in prey items that weren't big enough (to them) but the f/t hopper it passed up was the same size as the live one it did eat. Both f/t were brained to stimulate it's appetite/feeding response.
    I am wondering whether the relative position had any part in the response (or lack thereof) since they prefer to strike from above their prey. It was in a more secure position when it took the live hopper, similar to the one in your recent pic.

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Holy crap, it's been almost 3 years since I started this thread.

I just want to say thanks to Herpcenter for all of the advice I have received over the past few years. I have been an absent member for a while. Life gets crazy and priorities change, but I have not forgotten the help I have gotten from this community.

Irie, my JCP, Is doing great. Not sure if anyone really cares, but I see a handfull of members are still active from a few years ago when I was a more active member. I'm glad to see this is still a thriving community.