This Disappears When Logged In

New Jungle Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Andyc3020, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I received my Christmas present early. My wife ordered this little guy/girl for me and it arrived today. I'll post some better pics later.

This is my first snake, so I'm pretty excited. How old does it look to you guys?

Crkkfv4.jpg

MB3vmI3.jpg

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats! Now that's a Christmas present!! I'd couldn't guess exactly but I'd say a couple of months or so. Any paper work? It's a little beauty!

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

No paper work. She ordered it from lllreptile since that's where we get our crickets from and she is familiar with them. I'm not looking to breed or anything.

Here is a less blurry pic.
    Tzr7xwv.jpg

i'm thinking it's a girl, but i'm obviously no expert. it isn't really important to me.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I'd put him or her at around 3 months old, give or take. Starting to color up a bit but still real skinny without much contrast, seems about right. Looking good! I hope he/she likes that enclosure!

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

True little beauty!!

6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

so far she is spending all of her time at the top of the branches hanging around the fake leaves. She seems to like it.

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

jY8eQGT.jpg

This is how I have it set up right now.

8. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

Awesome! Our jungle carper (Kaa) is one of our favorites, looks and personality! You're sure to enjoy this little guy! Congrats!
    & Happy Holidays!

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Is Kaa the name of the snake on the Jungle book? I need to come up with a good name. I suck at this. I have had two fence lizards for a couple months that still don't have names. My excuse is I don't know their sex.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's why most of my animals have unisex names unless I am sure of the sex.
    And yes Kaa is the rock python in The Jungle Book.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`m great at names, you could call the fence lizards "sitting" and "on the"....
    If by some chance those don`t suit, give me a couple of days I`ll try my best to think of some more (these things take time).....
    By the way, you have a very pretty Carpet snake, and I`ll try and get a name for that, too....

12. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Beautiful Jungle Carpet Python!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2012 I picked up a darling little black kitten who I named Aristotle. The owner said he was male... the vet said he was male. On the day Aristotle was to be neutered I was informed he was actually a she. She is still Aristotle.. but we call her Ari much of the time. Jump ahead to November 2013.. four weeks ago I rescued a black and white female kitty who I named Socrates. I have one ball python that we aren't sure of the sex. "His" name is Julius Squeezer... and if I found out tomorrow that he is a she... her name would still be Julius Squeezer!! I love the name.

13. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I fed her for the first time today. I wanted to get her started on rats, but I was unable to locate any locally, so I just fed her one of my monitor's frozen thawed fuzzy mice. It only took a couple of minutes to get her to eat. I did remove her from her enclosure so she doesn't associate me with food. I've heard so many stories of it being difficult to get new snakes to eat, so I'm very pleased that I had no problem.

question:

What size rat should I order? Fuzzy or pinky? I just don't know how big baby rats are compared to mice. If they are the same, i'll stick with fuzzy.

14. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

My baby carpet did fine starting on rat fuzzies. I actually bought her some pinkies and felt like they ended up being to small. She was about the diameter of my pinky finger when I got her and about 90 days old. Ill post a size comparison later when I have more time

15. Muralis

Muralis Member

Beautiful snake! Thanks for sharing!

16. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Thanks!

I weighed him on our letter scale and he is 1.1 oz, so that's 31.18 grams. I'll just use this thread for record keeping.

17. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

2 oz today. she eats tomorrow. Rat fuzzies are no problem.

18. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

19. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

2.4 oz today and she's getting less fidgety with handling.

20. Gambit25

Gambit25 New Member

Nice carpet buddy, and how can kaa be a rock python? That's an African snake, jungle book was portrayed in India... I think you meant Burmese python but hey that could be the jungle book nerd / kid coming out of me lol