This Disappears When Logged In

New Iguana Set-Up Help

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by juniorsmama, Aug 21, 2009.

1. juniorsmama

juniorsmama Active Member

Well I have no problem with cleaning it of course. I hope to have him poop later on in his cage and not in the water but for now I don't mind because he's pooping and he wasn't before so
    I feel relieved. I'll just have to change the water more often than not. :)

What do you suggest would be a better solution? So I can know
    What to do.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually I would simply allow him to do his business in the water! Makes keeping the cage clean much simpler.
    An adult iguana poop painting the entire cage is a chore!

3. juniorsmama

Ok so ill let him keep pooping in the water and i'll just clean it for him.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The water is far easier for you and him. All you need to do is remove the dish, clean and replace. Many people try very hard to water train their ig for pooping because of this reason. If they aren't pooping in the water, they are pooping wherever they want to and just imagine scrubbing out those nooks and crannies!

5. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Tell me about it!

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

No kidding! When Tito decides he is tired of pretending to be potty trained he REALLY makes a mess! haha

7. juniorsmama

Hey I think its easier if the poop in the water. I just clean it and that's it, rather than having to scrub walls.

hahaha Tito sounds like a handfull, that's funny. :)

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

That's why I told you before get a small water dish for a different spot in the cage, and a large shallow bowl for pooping in.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh he is! haha Not that I can blame him - he was mistreated when I got him and in really bad shape. He was afraid of EVERYTHING and VERY wild. He has come a long way, so I am pretty proud of him. :) But he is still a handful. lol Welcome to the world of Iguana Slavery. ;)

10. juniorsmama

It,s not so much a slavery if you like it..That's all part of adopting a pet if you like it you have to do both the fun and dirty jobs. I think its amazing that you kept him and helped him get better. I hope junior leans to trust me. :)
    Yeah I know.

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

He will. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and are willing to do what it takes - so I have no doubt that Junior will learn to trust you and enjoy your company. :)

12. juniorsmama

This is his outside enclosure when I built it, before putting the shelves.
    11l4w0m.jpg
    the one for inside is twice that one

Thanks, I hope so you know, but if he doesn't then I'll just keep taking care of him.

Attached Files:

13. schlegelbagel

Be sure that cage gets about 1/2 sun and 1/2 shade. Without the sun, its useless, and without the shade, he could overheat and die rather fast.

14. juniorsmama

no he has hidding places inside it ..see my camera is out of battery so I had my friend emAIL me the pics he took of it 3 days ago when I built it but it has hidding places and a rope with a wood also

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Even with hiding places, I would cover about half of it with a towel. He needs more than just hiding places, he needs a good amount of shade. If the only shade is hiding places, he can't sit in the shade to cool down and still watch things around him and such.

16. juniorsmama

ok thanks for the tip lol :)

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I have found that the hiding place in my outdoor enclosure got extremely hot so I removed it. I covered a section of his cage with old wooden blinds so that one of his ledges always have shade. At first I also used a towel, but the sun keeps moving and at a certain time of the day the towel was useless, plus sometimes it just blew off.

Here is a thread that you can look at regarding food, it is very helpful.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/green-iguanas/23650-iguana-food-recipes.html

18. juniorsmama

wow alright thanks ill remove the hidding places then idont want him to cook under there ...and thanks for the recipes

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I would suggest that you first measure the temps inside the hide before you just remove it. Our SA sun is very different from other countries.;)

20. schlegelbagel

Well, its not that different from Miami.