This Disappears When Logged In

New Iguana Set-Up Help

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by juniorsmama, Aug 21, 2009.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Re: Petshops Suck...I Need All the Tips I Can Get

If he is outside in the sun, you need a screen with good-sized holes (1/4") to let UV through and I suggest getting a MagaRay anyways for inside - the colder months are coming and you will need it then. However, when it is warm enough, natural sunlight is the best.:)
    To humidify, I suggest buying a humidifier and putting it in his cage once you get the big one built. In the meanwhile, spray him multiple times a day and keep his water under the light if you can - I find that makes the water evaporate and helps raise the humidity a little.

As long as the water dish is secure and can't fall, it should not matter where you put it. I usually have Tito's on his shelf because that is where he was pooping and that was the only way I could manage to "potty train" him. The floor is more safe, but as long as it is secure like Is said it will be fine in either place.

The calcium should not constipate him. Just be sure that you sprinkle it like salt and yes you do want to give him a little each day. Be sure also that you have pure calcium with NO D3 and NO Phosphorus. JUST calcium.

He is little and thinks he is prey and you are a big, hungry predator. He will be shy for a long time. Just be patient and gentle and move slow. It may take months or even years before he calms down, but just be patient and you will get there. :)

To warm him in the night, get a Ceramic Heat Emitter. It produces heat with no light so he cal sleep and still stay warm. :)

2. juniorsmama

juniorsmama Active Member

his body is 4 in he is tiny..lol amazingly though he is so active.lol i will post up pics asap i promise
    well look i bought wood and my dad who is a construction worker built it for me..the enclousure is five feet tall four feet wide.and has shelves for me to put his hidding place water food basking spot and cooling spot.now i just have to set up the lights and the thermometers ..
    Anyways i hav tried misting him but he dislikes it he runs off..
    as far as the uvb light goes i havent been able to purchase it i sold my itouch and got $120 dollars out of it and wasted it all on wood, the fencing, tile for the bottom correct food for him,calcium, bowls,hidding place. i have to buy thermometers and uvb light...For the time being junior is getting sun in a small enclousure outside...btw guys thanks alot for the tips i canged his diet around and he went to the bathroom..im glad thank u

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

4. juniorsmama

wow more reading I love this..thanks dominick

5. matchu

matchu Well-Known Member

one thing that stood out to me was that you said that you sold your ipod-touch. Most young adults wouldn't consider that an option so I give you props for that. Sounds like this guy has a good home now congrats. Spend a lot of time with him here in about a week and he should really start warming up to ya. Congrats on the new iggy. :D

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

That was fast! Good job! He should be ok without the bulb for now as he is getting sunlight, but when you have to bring him in for the winter you will need it. I am glad he pooped. ;) It sounds like you are doing an amazing job, keep it up!
    Also, keep misting him anyways. If he runs, just mist the cage all over but not on him directly - then you are getting the humidity up but not scaring him with the "rain." If he does not like the misting I suggest soaking his greens in water to give him some extra hydration. :)

Wow....I second that. I would not sell my iPod!!!! I am glad that your iggy has such a great home!!!! :)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Hey, you had two threads going all about your green iguana setup, so I merged them to have everything in one place. I hope its not too confusing.

8. juniorsmama

wow this place is amazing with all of you pitching in I've slowly learned a lot..I'm definitely going to buy that book asap and I will buy the humidifiers and the thermometers ..oh and the uvb lamp..So no more carrots for now on. I got that, and I have to switch up the greens. No problem. Well just for a bit of info, I just took him out of the outside enclosure since it seemed like it was going to rain and he actually let me get him out of there without running. I guessing it was because he was scared of being wet or something because once inside the tank he ran like crazy. lol ...Thanks guys.
    Oh and yeah, trust me it was really hard to sell my itouch. But I mean I can buy another one right? I cant let the poor little dude die over an ipod ...:) Oh and I love to make him food. I find it fun and interesting to see that he likes it...But he's eating alot, like his bely gets real big isnt this bad? overfeeding maybe?

9. schlegelbagel

They won't over eat, so don't worry about that. :)

10. juniorsmama

lol thanks then that just make junior a fatty :) he's so adorable really worth losing an ipod...hopefully he will understand that I'm here to be his friend not a threat thanks

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

At that size, it is a REALLY good thing he is a "fatty!" He needs all the food he can eat because he is growing so fast at this young age. :) And it is a good sign that he is not too stressed to not eat.

12. juniorsmama

hmm lol that's great to hear.I wish I coud post a pic up of him but unfortunately I'm using my husbands laptop and I dont have the cable to my camera..

sorry the camera I have sucks but ok
    SUNP0016-2.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Be careful handling so much. It sounds like you just grab him to do whatever to him All the moving from cage to cage to tub to whatever is stressing him out.

He needs a place that he can feel comfortable in before you start taking him everywhere

14. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Welcome to HC!
    Sorry I missed your thread I haven't been on in a while! It sounds like you are working out all of the details, and congrads! I am sure that you already know that you will be a slave basically right? LOL I am a slave to three and there isn't ever a dull moment or a full wallet!

He/she is cute! Great pic!

15. juniorsmama

LOL TO KENDALLE: I know I'm handling him a lot but it's the only way I can do it for now until I can get him his enclosure all together and the only reason why I handled him now was because one of the posters wanted to see how big he was
    and to ACE:lol really ive noticed that there is never a dull moment lol its crazy and trust me my wallet is already empty lol but ill figure out some more money..and thanks the pic was whatever because I didn't want to have him on me for sooo long he is ok on me for a few secs then he gets scared lol

oh yeah I forgot I don't take him to the tub he dislikes it so I put the bowl and warm the water a like it said in the article and pour it in his bowl but he doesn't go in it ...

16. hopphaus

hopphaus Elite Member

Don't worry about the exact length too much because he looks quite healthy. People asked because they wanted to get an idea about his size/age in order to give you more accurate advice. He looks larger than 4 inches to me. Wallace is much smaller and is larger than 4 inches. It is difficult to measure.

Greens Storage
    One thing that helped me a lot is someone here helped me with the storage of the greens. This has worked great for me (sorry, I can't remember who).

Unused portion of bunch:
    With this process my greens last about 3 weeks ($6 divided by 3 weeks comes to about $2 per week). What I do is wash the greens when I get home from the grocery store and then partially dry them with paper towel. I take several of the leaves needed for the week out and wrap the rest with the partially damp paper towel which goes back into the plastic bag. I do this for each kind of green I purchased. They all go into one plastic shopping bag and back into the fridge.

Used portion of bunch:
    I pull the leafy part off the stems and chop them up with a knife. Because Wallace is so small I chop it up very fine. The rule of thumb is to make sure no pieces are larger than the distance between his eyes. I put a couple of pieces of partially damp paper towel in a plastic container and place the chopped mix in it, cover it, and put it in the fridge. Each day, I grab some greens that have already been chopped, add a little vegies, and once in a while a little fruit. It saves a lot of time and mess.

The book
    If you can't find the book at a store near you, Amazon has them. I got a used one for about $10-15. It came and was in great condition (like new).

17. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

For the greens I recommend putting them all in a blender for Junior AND Wallace simply because that is the best way to get the smallest pieces. The smaller the piece of food, the greater the surface area to volume and the greater the amount of nutrients the ig can absorb, AND the more food they can fit in their belly (=get even MORE nutrients and grow More!). :)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You mention the height and width of the cage but what about the depth? It should be at least 3-4 feet. People often build in a "bookshelf" configuration forgetting that this animal is going to be 6 feet long!

19. juniorsmama

Ok thanks ill measure the depth of the enclosure now..oh and yea I ended up processing juniors food yesterday he eat a lot more than before when it used to be cut up..but the food dried out fast so I ended up having to make new food and spray it every once in a while. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and do the paper towel thing with the veggies.

Thanks for letting me know about the depth it is actually 3.2 wide..but don't worry as junior grows he will have another enclosure built to satisfy his needs thanks again.

Yay finally!!! this morning I got up cleaned juniors tank removed all the hiding places and food on the floor as he watched me. I came back put his rock rope and wood back in place and the place his water bowl inside the tank. I went to make his food and when I came back junior had pooped In the water bowl (which I have to clean now) but hey at least he finally went in the water on his own :)

20. schlegelbagel

Pooping in the water is far the easiest solution!