This Disappears When Logged In

New House for Ozzy the Iguana

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Rickenbackerman, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I've posted my story here:

http://www.herpcenter.com/green-iguanas/26597-new-guy-rescued-iguana.html

He's been in my dining room since I first got him about a month ago. I moved him into his new house yesterday morning, but he has hardly moved a muscle.

It's six panels bolted together for easy transport - I actually built it in my workshop, then took it apart and put it back together upstairs. Tan showerboard panels with 1x2 pine frames, seams are all caulked. The floor and ceiling are made of poplar and plywood also covered with showerboard. Melamine shelves and wire closet shelves for ladders. You can't see in the pics but there's a warm mist humidifier plumbed into the side below the window with 3" pvc pipe. 160W Megaray and 40W night lights in 6" recessed light fixtures on a timer, plus a ZooMed Hygrotherm that control a separate 150W ceramic heat emitter and the humidifier.

There are a couple of 2x8 vents (one on the bottom left and one on the top right), but I had to close them both to get the basking spot temps up to 95F. I think there is plenty of airflow, though, since there's a good 1/8" gap around the door and the light fixtures have holes in the cans to let the heat out.

I can't get the humidity higher than 55%, but I want to get a separate hygrometer to verify since it seems really muggy in there...

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0013-1.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

Oh yeah, inside dimensions are about 45" by 48" and six feet high.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks pretty good. The ig is not moving because it is stressed from the move to the new digs. Give a day or two and that should change.
    A suggestion. Igs have been noted as having a problem seeing white. I would put some reptile carpet on the shelves. It will also make it easier for him to move around on the slick shelf surface.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice enclosure.
    Good to see an Iguana with plenty of room.

4. rlayna

rlayna Elite Member

Maybe it's to "open", have you tried adding fake plants or hide boxes?

5. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Looks really nice, I'm sure with some time, he will really like it :)

6. Rickenbackerman

Merlin - you hit the nail on the head. Turns out Ozzy can't see white very well, if at all. I wonder if it's the same for all reptiles? I had thought about that earlier because of my experience with my turtle, turns out it is the case. He will run full speed (admittedly not very fast, he's a turtle!) into anything that is white - doors, baseboard molding, the fridge, etc.

At first Ozzy just sat on that piece of driftwood and was afraid to set foot on the shelves. I laid down some old towels on the shelves and voila! He cruises around on them now. Tonight I'm going to paint his ladders green so he can see them better, he hasn't really used them at all yet - I think it's because he can't see them.

7. Merlin

It IS quite a learning experience!

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hi, I'm Tammy from Jamaica and I have 2 iguanas for a few years (about 7) now.

Your setup looks great and I am sure your ig will soon settle down and start to appreciate his new life - and show his appreciation to you for rescuing him from a ghastly situation.

About their not liking certain colors like red - it's true for mine, and the ultimate horror to them is if I happen to forget and approach them in hair curlers!!! That makes them go totally ballistic every time. I have only done it the first time, then when I realized what the problem was I tried never to do it again, but have forgotten about twice after that and been sorry. No hair curlers, please! They seem to take it as a great threat.

My igs like a little "old fashioned" oats sprinkled on their greens sometimes - they lick it up with relish!

They enjoy a "shower" from the garden hose every weekend. Their cage is on my patio (it's separated, with each one - I believe they are both males - having his own space, but able to glare at each other from "behind the fence").

Clover's hungry.jpg

MMMWA!.jpg

9. Merlin

LOL! I have the same reaction with my wife!
    Anything that drasticly alters your appearance can set them off. A hat, a shirt with certain patterns or colors, etc.

10. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

:D:D That is so true.. Too funny.. I found out the same thing when I approached my female [7 at the time] with a pink towel wrapped high on my head after a shower. She went totally nuts and went into a freeze phase that lasted a whole day and night. Scarred me to death untill I found out what she was doing. I had thought she had broke one of her legs in the process of doing 500 miles an hour around her cage a couple of times before she went into the freeze state. But she was back to normal the next morning. Just as I was getting ready to take her to the Vet..:) Crazy aren't they??:D

11. Rickenbackerman

Well, ever since I painted his ladders green I started putting the food bowl down on the bottom. Even though I haven't actually seen him go down there I know he is because he is obviously eating. Every time I see him he's on the middle level, I don't think he has figured out that the basking spot is up top. But the other day when I got home I was so excited because he actually pooped in the green pan of water at the bottom! I hope he continues doing that because it makes cleaning up the poo SO much easier...

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Are there pictures of the enclosure now that it is colorful?? I'd love to see the finished product!

Congrats on a fine job with rescuing Ozzy and building his home!

13. Rickenbackerman

I'll try and take some new pictures tonight...

Ozzy has definitely settled into his new home. And he has learned how to climb! It's amazing how an animal that hasn't been allowed to do what comes naturally for 6 or so years, once placed in a proper habitat will start to do it so quickly! He can go from the top shelf down both sets of ladders in about 10 seconds once he sees his bowl full of food down there... He's also gaining some weight and his toes look much better - they were real thin and kind of limp when I got him - I assume from not using them.

He spends most of his time basking on the top shelf now. He also seems to like watching Murf - that actually worked out well as it gives him some entertainment when we're gone during the day.

However, since he's been warmed up he's also been a bit ornery. He's head bobbed at me a few times (once was the violent side-to-side or twisting kind of bob that says "stay away!"), and puffs himself up and sticks his dewlap out almost every time I come close. I'm still taking the "tough love" approach and am not putting up with any of his tough guy behavior. I can tell he's starting to come around, but very slowly...

Oh yeah, he only pooped in the water pan that one time - but at least he's going down at the bottom and not painting the walls!

14. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hah!!! Certainly, headgear is NOT a good thing to be wearing around them! I guess they could actually die of fright! Like chickens???

I had no idea they could go into a "freeze" state for such a long time! Wish I could do it too - without any questions asked!

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

My igs are always pooping in their baths - especially after I have JUST finished changing the water. Like clockwork, just as I finish filling up their baths (these are actual plastic baby baths) they both plonk down into the water and pooooooo-oooooPPPP!!! with great gusto and satisfaction on their faces.

16. Frognut

YET... :D

Well, what ELSE is fresh bath-water for???? :)

These are the times I'm HAPPY to only be allowed to live vicariously through all of you!!! ;)

17. Rickenbackerman

Just took some more pics. Not great, but it's dark (he's SOUND asleep) and I had to use the flash. I wouldn't call it "done" since I might add some more furniture, but it's certainly 1,000,000 times better than where he was before.

DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0030.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg

Oh yeah, I had another thought on his short stint of mild aggression recently - see those little white caps on the ends of his ladders? Well, he ate one! Maybe it upset his innards and that's why he was irate. The caps are now glued on so he won't pull them off and swallow 'em...

Attached Files:

18. Frognut

Nice job on his enclosure. They are never truly done - we always have to add, tweak or change things around! :)

It's interesting their issues with white - and colors for that matter. I'm glad you got that part figured out.

Don't know what to say about the plastic end cap - but at his size, not sure how it would effect him. He's beautiful, I'm happy he is settling in his new home!

19. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Something else that you can add that I think he would love ya for is a stuffed sock!! I took one of my husbands tube socks and a bunch of other old socks and stuffed them into the tube sock. My big girls loves her sock. She sleeps on it all the time. She will even lay on it in her basking area during the day time!!
    My young girl has two little stuffed animals that she throws around her cage.. Sometimes lay's on them and other times they are kicked out of the area!! :0)

20. Merlin

And being a male he may have erm,...other,...uses for the socks!;)

Keep an eye out to make sure the cap passes.