This Disappears When Logged In

New Here and I Have a Question...

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by p1g, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p1g

p1g Member

So I'm new here, I was on another forum but it was so dead and no help at all. :(

I have one female AFT, I've read your caresheet twice now and it seems as though I'm doing everything right, but for some reason my little girl isn't eating normally so I thought it could be brumation, but she's eaten maybe...6 crickets in about a month and a half.

I feed her regularly but she never eats, she's just uninterested. What could the problem be?

I bought her off a guy from craigslist about a year ago and I haven't had any problems up until now. Any advice? Should I change up her diet? Throw in a few blood worms, meal worms or something? Maybe she's just bored of crickets?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Temps are correct? Gives us some insite on her set up. When she does eat, does she poo?

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. The more you can tell us the better we can help.

4. p1g

p1g Member

Yeah her temps are right, I have her in a tub on paper towels since I had a bit of difficulty with mold when she was on dirt, I keep a UVB light on her for a few hours a day, I feed her about every 3 days, I put about 3-4 crickets in and she'll eat maybe one every time I feed her. She poops when she does eat, otherwise she doesn't.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

What are the temps and humidity and what do you use to measure them? Some gauges are notorius for being inaccurate.

Has anything changed recently in or around her tank?

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Also, what is your substrate and size of the tank? How do you go about achieving the temps you have currently.

Be sure to tell us EXACTS.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

If the environment really is right, changing up the diet a little might help. I'm not sure about AFTs, but with other reptiles it's common for them to get bored with one food and reject it. (Water dragons are notorious for that kind of thing.)

Do you know anything on how she was kept before you got her? Some things, like impaction, build over time with miscare. Even after setting things right, there could still be complications from the early problems.

How is her behavior? Is she showing signs of lethargy? Anything other than her eating habits that doesn't seem normal?

8. p1g

p1g Member

When I got her, she was on some strange rocky/sandy/orange substrate and she was a bit mean. The guy didn't have any means of heat on her, she didn't have any humidity and she only had a hide and a water bowl.

Up until recently she's always been really uh...lethargic, I suppose you could say. She stays in her hide all day unless she comes out for a drink and that's the only time I see her unless I take her out of her tub.

I'll try to switch up her diet and see if that works. I've tried to feed her mealworms and pinkie mice f/t, but she didn't seem interested. I've only seen her eat one wax worm the entire year I've had her. Maybe I'll try with the wax worms again...

I've got another question though, is there such a thing as too much heat?

9. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

My leopard was on almost the exact orangy substrate you described when I got her, had only a heat rock and a hide, she was quite mean(sometimes tried to bite), and really didn't move or eat much, but I have now had her over a week, handled her over 20 minutes a day, and baught her a heat lamp. She east plenty and poops fine. I would just recommend you give her some time to get used to you and her new home, also yes their is such thing as "TOO" much heat. I would recommend you read the African Fat Tailed caresheet and see what the recommended temperatures are during the day, night and basking spot, exceeding the temperature suggested can cause dehydration so it is a bad thing to have "TOO" much heat.

CARESHEET ---> http://www.herpcenter.com/african-fat-tailed-gecko-caresheet.html

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Could you describe her "poo" a little more.
    The white part, does it look wet or more dry and break apart when it's fresh. Too dry is a sign that she's not ingesting enough water in her diet.

11. schlegelbagel

And WHAT ARE HER TEMPS!! You seem to be avoiding this question.

12. p1g

p1g Member

Her temps are 77 on the cool side, 86 on the warm side.
    Also, any ideas on how to keep the heat up without a basking lamp?
    I have a uth, but I need the basking lamp to keep it up to a good temp, so I can't give her the 12 hours of light/dark.
    Any tips?

13. schlegelbagel

It should get a night drop in both temps and light. When you turn off the light, what does the basking light spot drop to? Have you been keeping the basking light on all the time? If so, that could be your problem.

14. p1g

p1g Member

No, I don't keep it on all day, I usually just leave in on for most of the day and then turn it off at night.
    The basking temp at night would be...73.

15. schlegelbagel

Give her a straight forward on/off for 12 hours each for that light. Timers are your friend. Your night temps also seem fine. I would try mixing up the diet. Can't hurt.

16. p1g

p1g Member

She's eating more now. :D
    Thanks guys.

17. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Glad to hear that, hope all stays well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.