This Disappears When Logged In

New Guy, Rescued an Iguana...

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Rickenbackerman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

Well, I've now had Ozzy for over a year - and I can officially relate to being an "iguana slave". Food, poop, bath. More food, more poop, more bath. It's a chore alright. Luckily for me he doesn't poop all over the place like some others do, but his attitude definitely leaves a lot to be desired. He's sort of starting to come around on the trust front, I think, but he sure is a moody and territorial SOB. Most of the time he still just wants to kill me. I do believe he was "in-season" around last June/July, so we'll see if he turns into the antichrist again this summer...

Unfortunately between the attitude, the claw sharpness, and the 20 grit sandpaper like foot pads, I don't handle him nearly as much as I should. I still need to find some long thin leather gloves so I can handle him more often without bloodshed.

His house is 4x4x6ft tall, and I plan on adding another 2 ft to the width this winter, hoping that it might help with his attitude some. Plus, he'll be able to look out the window in the backyard at all times for some more entertainment.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      100.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      36 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
  2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Ozzy looks great!
    Wow, he is huge, takes up the full length of the tub!:eek:
    Found this site and thought you might need to get yourself a pair
    Ig Gear

Thanks for sharing your pictures of Ozzy!

3. Rickenbackerman

I haven't measured him but he's a hair over 4 feet nose to tip of tail, and he's gained a little over a pound since I adopted him.

Thanks for the link to those sleeves, I think I will order a pair - just the ticket for my shredded arms! I know I had seen those in the past somewhere but couldn't find them when I last looked...

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I'd just improvise and wear some old oven mitts I didn't care about. :) But maybe michelle's idea is better...

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I just read the entire thread, really awesome story, then until now. I applaud you for rescuing, even after him trying to eat you, you keep at it. I wish more people would rescue, and they werent so abused by the pet trade. They sound like amazing animals.

7. Rickenbackerman

Thanks butcher!

I thought it would possibly be beneficial to others to keep posting updates to this thread, kind of as a diary of sorts, for any others looking to take in an iguana who have no prior experience. I started as an iguana noob and this thread documents my learning experience thus far.

Here's a few more pics of the beast in question...

IMG_20101104_173705.jpg

The only time he's not trying to kill me - when he's sound asleep...

IMG_20100916_005856.jpg

This one shows his full length with me holding him for comparison - I'm 6'1" fyi...

IMG_20100914_212839.jpg

Attached Files:

8. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

He looks Awsome. Glad you rescued him. We just rescued our 1st iguana there defiantly a handful. Hopefully he calms down some for you eventually.

9. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

IMO, he does have some catching up to do with size..

And would like to offer up this tip.. If he is sound asleep, both front legs will be extended backward. If they stay in front of him, then he remains ready to go.. Not totaly relaxed.

10. Rickenbackerman

Yeah, he's certainly not full-size for his age, but considering he lived his first 6 or 7 years in a 55 gallon aquarium with no UVB and only lettuce and tomato for a diet, I think he's a pretty good size.

I've seen him sleep with his front legs pointing backward, but I think it has more to do with what he does with them before he falls asleep - once he's out, he's out for hours - motionless.

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Congrats on your rescue. He is a lucky iggy. :)
    What about weilding gloves? Wouldn't they help protecting from those razors? lol
    I would just go to Fleet Farm and see what I could find.

12. Rickenbackerman

I actually have a pair of welding gloves since I have a welder... they're VERY stiff and I'm afraid if he started thrashing while I had them on I'd break a few of his ribs or even worse since I wouldn't be able to have the "feel".

I actually put in an order for a pair of those Ig grips - just waiting to hear back from them.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you tried trimming the nails? Its just the very end that are razor sharp. By tipping them back you can avoid the worst of the scratches.

14. Rickenbackerman

Yeah, his nails are fairly smooth. What's been getting me lately are the pads of his feet if he starts thrashing - those things are like wood rasps! Just the ticket for traction on tree branches I suppose...

15. Merlin

Just wait till the tail moving against the grain hits bare skin!

You might try putting some flat sandstone paving blocks in the cage. The abrasive surface will help to wear both the pads and the nails down.

16. Rickenbackerman

Yeah if the foot pads are like wood rasps then the tail is like a chainsaw...

Great idea on the sandstone! I will do that - just hope the shelves can hold the weight... I'll look for some that are as thin as I can find.

17. Rickenbackerman

So recently I decided that Ozzy needs more "stompin' ground", so I added two feet of width to the upper two thirds of his house. It came out pretty nice - I'll take some pics shortly. Now he can see through the window out into the backyard for some entertainment factor. Now his house is still 4' by 4' at the bottom on the upper two levels it's 4' by 6', a little more appropriate for a four foot lizard.

The only downside is that I had to barricade him in our dining room while I was doing the work on Saturday, and I think that *really* freaked him out. He tries to run and hide when I approach his house, whereas before he would show off - stand up, bob, whip, etc... He's up in his basking area but he hardly moves and won't eat. I think I should just leave him alone for a few days but am looking for advice...

18. Merlin

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Just leave him be for a couple of days.
    Iguanas aren't fond of changes.

19. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I enjoyed reading this entire thread! I am not an iguana owner but I find great insight and repsect for those who do, and do it as well as you!!

I am very impressed and will continue to enjoy reading this thread as long as there are updates! :)

20. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Good luck Ricken-

Sounds like he is going through some stress and he'll normalize in a few days.

You're doing a great job with him!