This Disappears When Logged In

New Geckos, Need Help Identifying

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Atroxus, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I got two new geckos as a late Christmas present from my wife, but I am not sure what morphs they are. The male is fairly large, but I intially thought he was a normal. The gal at the pet shop said they think he is tremper giant/carrot though. The female though they were completely unsure of and I can't find anything online that matches her either. Pics below.

Boy then girl.

leo_boy.jpg leo_girl.jpg

2. Atroxus

Just realized that the lighting in my computer room makes everything look more yellow than it actually is, so I took a couple pics in another room that are closer to their actual coloring. I also named them. Kylo and Rey. :)

It is hard to see in the pic, but on Rey, the lighter sections of her body/tail adjacent to the browns are a very pale violet. Kylo weighs 86 grams, Rey weighs 54 grams.

My wife and I were up late staring at images online of various morphs. So far we are leaning towards Kylo being a High Yellow, possible giant, and Rey being Bell Albino and maybe one or more other things?

What do yall think?

Kylo
    Kylo.jpg

Rey
    Rey.jpg

3. Atroxus

Did some more research, and now we are thinking that Rey is just a densely patterned Rainwater Albino, since she doesn't have any pink/red in her eyes, and I guess the "pale violet" I described could also be described as light pink. The more pics we look at the more convinced we are that Kylo is just a High Yellow, possible Giant. We reached out to the pet store owner to see how old Kylo is, since at 86 grams it seems possible he could just be a full grown normal high yellow.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Any chance you could find out from the pet store where they got this clutch? Then you could possibly ask the breeder what he thinks they would be... it's really difficult to say for any certainty what morph a Leo is just by looking. For your breeding purposes you really need to find out what morphs the parents were, and then prove out the genes by breeding those two.

5. Atroxus

The lady at the shop picked them up from a guy who bought them at an expo. She called him this morning and was told that both are a little over a year old. Parentage is not known for certain, but the guy told her that the male was sold to him as "a Tremper Giant/carrot tail" and that the female was sold to him as a Bell Albino. I guess only time and breeding will prove/disprove this though. Given the lack of pink/red in the eyes of the female though I am still leaning heavily towards her being a Rainwater Albino rather than Bell.

6. Atroxus

It seems more likely than I originally thought that Kylo could actually be a Tremper Giant as advertised. I was holding him today and he happened to stretch out full length on my arm, so I marked dots on my arm at the tips of his nose and tail, then measured the distance between. He is ~10 inches long. :) I also read on Ron Tremper's web site today that Tremper Giants don't really start to bulk up until they hit 10" in length, so Kylo may still be putting on weight. I am going to go ahead and breed them to see if I can prove out their genetics before I buy any new leopard geckos though. It looks to be an adventure. :)