This Disappears When Logged In

New Gecko Not Eating

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jpichie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jpichie

jpichie Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a fat tail gecko, currently he is in a 10gallon tank, with under the tank heater, tiles for substrate, one hide on the hot side and one on the cool side, with a moist hide inbetween hot and cool side, I have two digital thermometers and the cool side ranges from 70 to 74 degrees and the hot side ranges from 87-89 degrees depending if I misted the tank or not. Im not sure if the temps are too low and thats why he is not eating, I have had him for almost 10 days and he deficated the day after I got him, but nothing since. I have tryed to feed him in the tank and the last two nights I have taken him out and put him in a bin with some mealworms and some crickets, but no luck. I do know they can go a while and I havent been handleing him just yet, unless i take him out to put him in the feeding tub. Any suggestions would be great . (I have looked at serveral different care sheets including this one and the one thing I have found is that the temperatures they say range from 90 maximum on the hot side to 100 maximum on the hot side so maybe my temps are just too low?) Thanks in advance!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The cool side shouldn't drop below 74 degrees, where do you find that he is spending the majority of his time, Hot side, cool side?
    They need more humidity than a leopard gecko does!
    Do you have a water dish for him?

It could be that he is still getting accustom to his new home!
    Do you have any foliage to cover him from hide to hide?
    Are the crickets appropriately sized for him?
    How old is he?
    Do you have a picture of him and how does his fat stores in his tail look?

3. jpichie

he spends all of his time under the hot side hide, the only time it drops below is when I misted the tank. he does have a water dish, and he has lost some weight, but his tail is still a fair size I wouldnt say fat though. I will upload some pictures in about an hour ill take some of the tank so you guys can see it and of the gecko himslef, I am not sure of the age, the store where I got him was unaware. I normally dont buy any of my reptiles from stores but I couldnt resist this guy, she said they had him for around 3 months. But as soon as my boyfriend gets home I will get him to post some pictures

4. jpichie

So I just went and took some pictures of him and will post them soon, but I think he is about to shed, so maybe thats why he hasnt been eating. I see some lose skin around his armpits and he is a lot lighter then he was a couple of days ago, what do u suggest I do to keep the temps up after misting? the first day i put a 60watt bulb but the temps were close to 100degrees, so i turned it off maybe try a lower wattage?

5. mld

A shed will definitely do it! What are you using in your moist hide?

6. jpichie

Here are the pics...
    IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

If the room that the enclosure is in has a fairly constant temperature, you could use a dimmer switch to get the heat right. That would be easier than trying different wattage bulbs, only to find that none of the achieve the desired temperature.

Cute looking gecko you've got yourself. :)

8. mld

Make sure that you remove any uneaten feeders, they will pester him.
    I would place another piece of greenery in the front section of the tank, it will give him some cover while going for water.
    Also, good that you have paper to cover the sides with, I would also cover the third side and leave just the from open.
    Do you have a little bottle cap that you can put some pure Calcium in.
    Is that moss that is in the moist hide? Its better to use warm wet paper towel instead of the moss, if the moss is eaten it can cause some impactions.

When he goes poop, bring it in to a vet to check for parasites. Do you have a reptile vet lined up, just in case you need one.

9. jpichie

Hi guys, the moist hide currently has a coconut bark in it, but ill change that up tonight to paper towels, I might move the enclosure to the reptile room, if I can find the room, that might help keep the temps up and I will deffinatly add some more vegetation coverage. I was taking the uneaten crickets out but I got worried and left them in once I noticed he wasnt eating. I have a lot of pure calcium so ill add that as well, as soon as I'm off of work. I do have a reptile vet lined up, Its about an hour away but I have gone to them before with another gecko. This picture doesnt do him justice! I will post some more as soon as he sheds. Thanks for all the help and if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If he always stays on the hot side that is an indicator that you need to bring up the temperatures in the tank. They should go bask, get warmed up and then move away.

11. jpichie

This morning I did turn a lower wattage bulb on because I noticed it was a little cooler than usual, but I will move him into the reptile room tonight, hopfully that will help, we have 6 crested geckos a bearded dragon and 4 snakes in there, should be warmer for him. I just need to find a stand and he might be sitting in the middle of the room. So for feeding I know MLD said to remove the uneaten crickets, so would it be ok to feed in a different tank and then just put him back into his enclosure? Or is it best to put crickets in his enclosure and then try to catch them, if so how long should I leave them in there and what time of day is best as I know they are night dwellers.

12. mld

I wouldn't, he isn't on particulate substrate, It may be a bit of a pain in the rear to remove any unwanted crickets, but he is still getting comfortable in his new home and the constant moving him back and forth will only stress him. Take it slow go about your daily routine of changing water, checking temps, feeding, and he will eventually get used to you being around. But if you are constantly picking him up and changing his surroundings it will take longer. If you feel that he is sick, then follow your gut and take him to the vet with a fecal sample.

If he is in shed, then he most likely won't eat. Just make sure that he is hydrated and hopefully he will use his moist hide.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Can you leave meal worms in a dish in there at all times? Do you have a calcium dish?

14. jpichie

I just placed a calcium dish in the tank and more vegitation, i do have meal worm and I do have a feeding dish made for meal worms I can try those and leave them in since they cant get out of it, but ill also feed him at supper time crickets and then when i go to bed ill take all the uneaten ones out