This Disappears When Logged In

New Garter Snake

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by steve0, Apr 22, 2012.

1. steve0

steve0 New Member

Hey guys, So I have had a garter snake named Bertha for about 2 years now and she has never been a picky eater. If I let her, she would probably eat until she explodes! But I recently caught a very small baby garter snake that is nowhere near as comfortable around me as Bertha is. Bobby is what I named the new one. Bobby is scared all the time, which I am used to with new pets, but it has been over 2 weeks now and I am starting to worry. He has eaten peeper frogs, but nothing else. I am trying to get him to eat earthworms, as they are the most available and affordable, but he has not eaten one. I have left him overnight with plenty of earthworms, but he doesn't touch them. I don't live near a pond so I can't catch him frogs often and he won't eat minnows either. Please give me a convenient food or way to get him to eat soon!

2. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

He is most likely stressed from being captive now. He is used to running free and having to run from people. Depending on the size they are going to need more then worms to provide a proper diet. This could be the reason your female will eat until she is about to explode. To be honest and I am not trying to sound mean or give a attitude, but if you are looking for affordable food for him maybe you should of thought about your money situation before you caught another snake to care for. I really mean that in the nicest way.

3. steve0

steve0 New Member

Money isn't that big of a deal, I just mean I can't go buying caviar for a snake. I like it a lot and have a great enclosure for it, with a friend who loves to sleep with him under a log. but if he won't eat that may be the best choice. Is there any odd food they like to eat like a bug i could find in the backyard or canned tuna or something? just enough to ween him off of frogs for a while?

4. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

You could try pinkies or put appropriate size guppies in the water dish. Earthworms should only be provided 3 to 4 times a week once they are eating pinkie mice.
    Wild frogs should never really be used as they are full of parasites and they could transfer them to the snake. Speaking of parasites the snake most likely has them since it was a wild snake you may want to have a vet visit to get rid of them.

5. steve0

steve0 New Member

ooo good advice... I never even considered he would have parasites! I'll try store bought minnows for him of the right size, I think the problem with the minnows I tried before was that they were too big. My larger garter snake, Bertha, lives off of only earthworms, would fish be a better common meal for her, or pinkies? I have never used pinkies before because they are frowned upon in my house....but if i did use them, are frozen or live better? I doubt I would be able to use live ones...

6. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Feeder fish can sometimes carry parasites too. I work at Petsmart. Lol. Just be careful. I wouldn't give him large amounts very often.

7. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Why not just let him go? I mean, clearly he's unhappy in captivity. Chances are the stress is going to kill him anyway.

8. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Procure some feeder guppies and release them in the water dish.

For problem feeders, I use a clear glass water bowl, a glass ash tray works great.

If you can find some baby night crawlers (usually under logs or flat rocks) they are far more tempting than compost worms.

I have attached the ultimate garter snake care sheet, read it over and if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thamnophis Care Sheet

I have worked with literally hundreds of baby garter snakes, probably close to 1000.. so ask away.

Thamnophis - Garter Snakes

[​IMG]