This Disappears When Logged In

New Front Opening Tubs Look Promising for Us Herpers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by methos75, Jul 12, 2013.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I use the large size as crested gecko enclosures (approx 21 gal). They work great. :) Maybe someone in the industry is realizing that herp nerds love their products? ;)

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Those look awesome! How secure do they close, though?

4. cassicat4

Great - the lid itself snaps firmly into place, and then the front-opening door is a swing-down type, and to close it, you just lift up slightly (when it's at the top) and it slides down into place (self-latching). It can't be opened by pushing on it from the inside, or simply pulling from the outside - it needs to be lifted up from the outside to release.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Well well well.... great find and thanks for the link. Looks perfect for a baby carpet python rack.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Interesting! I have not seen those before. And I am in WM a lot!
    Must be something for order only.

7. cassicat4

Home Depot also sells them if you have one of those nearby!

8. Merlin

Hmmmm I have 3 HD near me and have never seen anything but the standard solid wall type.
    Now I am going to have to go look!

9. cassicat4

If your Home Depots are organized in any way similar to the ones near me, for some reason they aren't displayed in same aisle as the rest of the totes. They have them set up at the end of an entirely unrelated row (just in case HD doesn't confuse you enough as it is. ;) ).

If I remember right, I think your KMart's and possibly Target stores also carry them. The first one I picked up was on special order through Sears (who supply KMart inventory to Canada) because they were available in the States months before we got them. You guys get all the cool stuff first! :p

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That is awesome.
    Wonder if they are available up here in Canada.

11. cassicat4

They definitely are. Both Walmart and Home Depot near me carry them, so it should be the same for you. And on another forum, a few members from Ontario were the first from Canada to mention that they were available up here. :)

12. kriminaal

Haha, I like the first comment on Walmart about the product.
    Looks great, is just the right size and I love the secure, all-access doors. I hope rubbermaid will make some white ones in this small size. I use them to keep lizards in. :)

13. kriminaal

Cassi, do you have a part number for walmart.ca or homedepot.ca?
    I can't seem to locate the product online. The US product number doesn't work.

14. cassicat4

Ok, apparently they don't exist online at these places. :confused: I bought them in-store myself.

How do you feel about Canadian Tire, or London Drugs? Both of those places sell them as well, and they do have the info available online. ;)

Rubbermaid Access Tote - Black - 60L - London Drugs

Rubbermaid Access Storage Tote | Canadian Tire

15. kriminaal

Aha, thanks.
    I am a CTC junkie. I think I paid for at least one aisle in our local store by now.
    I consider myself part owner.

16. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

those would make interesting quarrentine totes etc. hmmmm if only.... lol May

17. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

I've seen these in wal mart! :D I immediately poo poo'd them because they couldn't hold much or any substrate, but then went running back when I remembered most of my herps just have paper towels.
    I'm hoping to move my crestie into one 8) I think it'd be nify for low light animals, I'm not sure how to get any lights set up with that

18. cassicat4

Cut out the small top panel (or cut a hole in the top panel) and glue screen to it. Lights can sit on top, or be mounted to shine down into the tub.

I've seen other people cut holes in the side panels and glue screen to that as well/instead of the top panel. Either method works well.

19. Merlin

Or just drill holes in the lid and attach screw hooks. If the lights are heavy enough to make the lid buckle, put a 1x4 board across the top to anchor the screw hooks.

20. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

They are only 11 gallons. Not like many of us have any creatures that should live in 11 gallon tanks right? Do they have larger than that? For cresties I would think you need more height so they can have moving around. I suppose you could stack and cut the bottom open so they have a duplex. Am I missing something? May