This Disappears When Logged In

New Female Dumerils Ground Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by bradenbundy, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

so i just received this snake from one of my buddies as he was has 21 snakes already lol she is very sweet and calm she is eight ft long and weighs somewhere around 60 to 65 in pounds. she is a big girl with that being said i have a zilla 40$ heat pad and a heat light on top of her at all times but i feel like that is not enough. should i be using a pig blanket and where would i get one? anything helps thank you!

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Well what are the temps and what are you measuring them with?

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

What size is the enclosure and the temps?

4. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

the enclosure is 6 ft by 4ft by 2ft deep the temps in the hot spot of the cage is 82-85 and the cooler end is about 75 to 70 it is being mesured by both gauges and a thermal laser pointer gauges are very accurate.

5. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

my next question is she has burrowed herself under her aspen bedding and has not moved all night and all day today but she is responsive when i am touching her and she moves then. could she be hibernating?

6. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

Dumeril Ground Boa

ok well for some reason no one will answer any of my questions that i have about her she has been laying in the same spot all last and all day today burrowed under her aspen bedding out of the hot spot on the cooler end of the cage. could she be hibernating? and yes i am sure i have all the right temperatures and stuff like that.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Re: Dumeril Ground Boa

Well I have no experience with snakes brumating but this is what my turtles and tortoises are doing. They will pick the darkest/coolest spot and dig down.
    Is she a healthy weight? Slightly fat? Was she healthy and active before this? Has she digested her last meal completely?

8. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

she MIGHT be slighty fat she weighs 60-65 pounds. and as far as her digesting her last meal i am not sure i just got her from one of my buddies and he only had her for a week and he didnt feed her cause i guess she was just fed and as of now she is in the middle of a shed so i dont think she will eat and as for being active she has always kinda just laid there.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well boa's arent known for wild antics, so that's probably not a good indicator of health...have you taken Her out of her cage at all? How long do you think she is? If she was fed 2or so weeks ago I would think the food would be digested-any noticeable bulges?

I am gonna say that she is brumating or getting ready to brumate, it is the time for it-I haven seen my desert tortoise awake in several days as she started her brumation faze last week. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable with snakes can answer your questions.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long have you had her?

11. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

yes she comes out of her cage alot i let her out almost everyday for about 2 or 3 hours and let her crawl about the house she is too **** big to fit behind anything but she is 8ft long she is a freak of nature cause she is so huge and i just noticed this morning that she had moved around a little bit sometime last night. but she is just laying there again and i have had no experience with snakes going into brumation or how to deal with it.

elephant8305 likes this.
  12. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

merlin i have had her since the 15th so 4 days but all the snakes i have had have never laid around even right after i got them. if she is going into brumation i have no idea how to deal with it as i never have before or how to prep for it.

13. Merlin

Often a new snake will sort of lay low until it gets the lay of the land so to speak. Its also possible that the snake is moving around at night. I know with my adult female boa, you would think I had an empty cage during the day but after lights out she is out and about.

elephant8305 likes this.
  14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Braden, do you have other boas? Because I have read that several species of boas and pythons just don't do anything while in their cage. Some even call them pet rocks. As for brumation prep you don't have to do anything if you don't want to, just keep the temps regulated and offer food when the time comes but it isn't unheard of for snakes to go off food for while during winter.
    Do you have pics of her and her set up?

15. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

well i dont know how to put pictures up here with her but if you tell me how i will! yes i have a central american boa and he is out and about most of the time. but i just found out 20 minutes ago that she has an upper resp infection she has bubbling noises coming from her when she breathes and opens her mouth slighty to breathe sometimes also is hissing a little to get it out i think idk. but i just put her in a forty gallon and cranked the heat up a little bit. i need help!

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You're doing the right thing, raise her temps into the upper 80s and let her stay there. If it's not too bad yet she may be able to recover, if not a vet visit will be needed for meds. For now don't handle her and simply keep and eye on her to see if she improves any. Also make sure she has some humidity, don't do away with it all. In your previous post you said 70-75 cool side. Try to stay at 75 atleast..... All that's coming to mind right now....

17. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

well i am trying to get it to 90 degrees but i having difficulty getting it there any suggestions? yeah but if i did away with the humidity wouldnt that be good though to bake it out of her so to say?

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No. The humidity helps clear the nasal passages to allow the air throw... It basically softens the mucus and infection up enough that it will drain out instead of hardening and clogging up her nose. It's why if you are having sinus issues you are supposed to sleep with a humidifier to help you breath. No humidity lead ago bad breathing as does too much humidity. I try to keep humidity at 60% or so for sick things.

19. Merlin

At one time it waqs suggested to lower humidity in RI cases. The thought was to basically dry it up.
    However it was learned that having improper humidity levels not only can cause an RI but can make treatment of it more difficult.

20. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

ok very cool its about 40% right now and normally it needs to be around 30% for a ground boa. i have a heat lamp and a heat pad on her but i still cant get it 90 degrees in there. what would you do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.