This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by rward18, Jan 22, 2012.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you soaked it in water for one day, how long did you let it dry before you put it in the enclosure, and what did you clean it with in the first place?

2. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i only used hot water i thought you guys said not to do the bleech solution b/c it may soak up into the branches i just let it soak in hot water for around 5-6 hours each branch then let it sit out for a day.(until fully dried).....what should i do leave these branches with the mold and let them go it's course or should i try and do bleach solution or something

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you considered just removing the branches? I don't suggest keeping something that is going to continue to mold inside the enclosure.

4. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

yeah i have they are out right now i was just wondering what i could do to keep there branches or do i need to try and find other branches.....my next new branch should i try to use a live one?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any type of wood in a warm humid environment is going to grow mold.
    With one exception.
    If you can find some driftwood that has been under water for a long time, all the mold's food is going to have been leached out of it already. You will be able to tell because it will be unusually light for its size.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You would have been better using a 10 parts water to 1 part bleach solution, rinse it thoroughly with boiling water, then allow it to dry off a few days.

7. mshrmheadcharge

I disagree with Murrindindi, as Merlin stated drift wood is an excellent and natural alternative to the branches you have now. They are just going to continue to sprout mold and eventually decompose.

8. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

well **** where can i get some drift wood lol and of the sizes i want i don't live near the ocean..... I did read about just soaking it in salt water but i doubt this would work unless i could soak them for weeks

9. mshrmheadcharge

I found this website
    http:// canadiandriftwood. com

remove the spaces before entering it into your search bar

10. Clgaston24

Clgaston24 Active Member

You could try cutting your log's into sizes that are bake able and then put them back together. Wih maybe glue and dowels.

11. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i actually thought about doing that and baking them soaking them and then have like some sort of hinge that way they fold up i just wasn't sure if it would be sturdy enough that way

12. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

checked out that site only problem is there a little pricey and they arent quite big enough i need atleast one that goes to top ledge of my enclosure like 5'

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A 6 feet long log glued back together?

14. Merlin

It doesn't have to be the ocean. You can get driftwood from most rivers, lakes, and ponds.
    And yes the saltwater soak will take weeks! Since you are essentially replicating what happens in nature.

Baking will not prevent untreated branches from growing mold if wet.

15. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

how should i treat it then b/c like i said buying drift wood is a little pricey

not necesarilly glued black together i was thinking maybe a small folding hinge on the underside screwed into the 2 pieces or something unless you have any other suggestions

16. Merlin

By "treated" I was referring to branches that had been naturally in the water for some time.
    There really isn't any sort of shortcut to this.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll show you one of the logs in my enclosure, almost 2.5m (8 ft) long, no problems with mold after over 12 months, treated the way I suggested with a water/bleach solution...

6307041697_e2c8d5146d_z.jpg
    001 Varanus salvator macromaculatus enclosure by murrindindi, on Flickr

Attached Files:

18. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

nice but yours isn't for a cwd atleast doesn't seem like in by the picture and it's the humidity that is causeing the mold i thing maybe i'll try to cut and bake to kill and bateria inside and that has already started to grow(mold) what is your suggestions on putting it back together

Attached Files:

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The humidity in my Water monitor`s tank is the same as you need in your Water dragon enclosure (up to 80%+).....

20. Merlin

Bacteria and mold are two completely different things and one has nothing to do with the other. The mold is growning on the water soluable material that is in the wood itself.