This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by rward18, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

Room and board?.... Thanks can't wait to get him in here

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Not quite 10,000 views. Wrong decimal point. ;)
    Turn the all the lamps and heat on now. The temperature needs to stabilize with the materials or you won't have a clue what the temps will be. After a few days you can make adjustments.

3. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

haha yeah 1,000 not ten but either way it's quite a few.....recardo is in his new cage today i watched the temps and his day temp is about 93 basking area top of the cage is about 88 and bottom of the cage is 80 and his night temps are about 83-84 top and 75-77 bottom still thinking about adding a plant to keep humidity up a little higher right now it stays right at 80 with his humidifier at about 75% and i'm also still going to spray it all once or twice a day to keep things pretty damp

4. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

only thing that scares me is he jumped from top to bottom one time yesterday i guess he didn't realize there was a rope and a branch :( but today i put him back on top right next to rope so he can learn where things are and not jump anymore...... any other ideas or things to maybe add let me know

5. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Don't let the humidity climb over 85% for too long. At 85-90% or higher, it can make it difficult to breathe. Just an FYI.

6. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i thought they were supposed to stay near 80% all the time correct me if i'm wrong i keep it right around 75%

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Around 80% is where it should be.

8. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

so mine is good then?... i find it hard for me to breathe but my hygrometer does read 77% right now this should be fine right?

9. Merlin

We are not adapted for breathing in a high humidity environment. The dragons are.
    77% should be fine. If measured with a digital hygrometer.

10. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

yes it is with digital....used to only have the analog hygro and thermo but upgraded when i built my new cage to be sure everything is more exact.... only problem is my hygrometer doesn't stick inside b/c of all the humidity have to think of something to mount it

11. Merlin

velcro.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, wipe the surface down around where the hygrometer is placed, then use some double sided tape on the back if it`s a flat surface, it should stay in place. Where is it positioned?

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Be very careful with any object with an adhesive surface inside your enclosure. I learned very quickly that if such a thing were to come loose your animal is at risk. The first week I brought my ornates home I found this out when the hydrometer, fastened to the inside wall of the enclosure via self adhesive magnets, dislodged. When it fell to the floor the one magnet detached and must have landed sticky side up. At some point one of my uros walked over top of it and got one of it's forearms stuck, facing backwards, flush to the adhesive, which was also stuck to it's underside. After a quick bath in a bowl of shallow hot water (something done in emergencies only) and a mild panic attack I was able to free the magnet. The uro walked awkwardly, dragging it's limb, for a few hours afterwords but no serious damage was done. If left alone longer who knows what degree of injury could have ensued.

14. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

thanks actually it fell once but luckily i saw it happen and i picked it up right away the adhesive side doesn't stick to the wood i guess maybe b/c of the poly but then i stuck it to the plexiglass so i can't see it but i check it by opening door and taking it off for brief second to look at it until i can figure a better way to hang it

15. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

new problem this is popping up i tried searching online and i believe it is mold growing. it started to grown where my logs meet the water anyone have any help until i figure out what this is and how to fix it if it is dangerous i took it out.
    img20120218213236.jpg
    Shot at 2012-02-18

img20120218213221.jpg
    Shot at 2012-02-18

Attached Files:

16. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

17. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

kept researching and came across someone on here saying that it was nothing to worry about if it is just white stingy mold like this and just to let it run it's course and it's fine can someone confirm this for me

18. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

When is mold every really safe? I wouldn't trust that mold to be around my children, so I wouldn't assume the safety around your dragon. That's just my thought. Have you tried baking the wood to dry it out and kill the mold? A mild bleach solution could be used to clean it as well - just make sure to rinse thoroughly and repeatedly.

19. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

the branch is nearly 6 feet can't really bake it i did soak it in water though for a day then let it dry

20. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

here is a link to the thread where i saw the statement about mold and letting it run it's course maybe i should try the salt water thing?..... still looking for some answers thanks.