This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by rward18, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

Saved up my money i should be starting this next week any suggestions for my enclosure is appreciated but here is my basic layout.....only thing i'm changing is instead of the humidifier i'm going with the exoterra monsoon rainfall auto mister.
    recardocage.png

Attached Files:

2. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i'm also going to be using a dimmer switch to regulate the temps.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Everything looks good, what type of wood are you using?

4. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i was just going to probably use either mdf for the the exterior walls and 2x4 for a frame inside how about coating it with poly inside to try and keep humidity inside and give a basic waterproofing what is safe?

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

MDF isn't the best type of material to build with, it will swell up like a sponge. 3/4" plywood sealing with min wax polycrylic.

6. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i figured mdf wouldn't be good that's why i wanted something to coat the inside to try and keep the water from absorbing into the wood i want a material that looks good on outside the boss(g/f) needs it to look pretty in our room any other sugestions beside plywood

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Personally I wouldn't recommend wood having direct contact with water, let alone a standing body of water, no matter what the wood is coated with. You should redesign the enclosure to incorporate a removable plastic basin/shallow tote on the bottom with a decent filtration system, otherwise you're looking at cleaning it by hand very, very often. You should also consider using 3/4" birch ply instead of MDF. I really can't tell how you have the enclosure constructed by the plans you provided, but I'd recommend doing a bit more research--no offense intended, I just don't want to see you throwing money away.

8. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

also decided to go with glass instead of plexi glass..... but as for the direct water i was thinking about that i just liked the idea of just using a rubber stopper and drain like in a tub but maybe i'll just do the kitty litter tray instead as for filtration i don't mind cleaning it out every time he uses bathroom and change water daily i already do that.

9. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

what exactly do you not understand about my design i can try to explain it a little better

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

11. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Just so you know, minimal dimensions for adult Chinese water dragons should be 6x2x4

12. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

ok i guess i could see how that would be confusing but they aren't really angled it will be going straight down. center light is going to be my basking main source of heat the right side will be the infrared just something for night time maybe use che instead i just like to see him at night. and the top left one is a uvb 5.0 compact bulb the bottom florescent uvb is for him to make sure he is getting sufficient uvb whether he is down at bottom in pool or climbing at the top.....is that a little more clear of my idea

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You only need the one UVB emmiting bulb/tube, it doesn`t matter if he/she moves out of range at times, the main thing is to have the heat/UVB in the same spot, so when the animal`s basking (thermoregulating), it`s automatically getting UVB exposure. (Personally, I`d use a tube the length of the enclosure, not the compact coil).

14. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

what are the differences in compact and florescent?.....

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never used the compact type, but the thing with the fluorescent tube is that it goes the whole length of the enclosure, rather than just in a relatively small area (circumference), but the choice is yours!

16. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

alright here are the new plans for it any other suggestions let me know also what should i use on the inside i was reading and found a site that says to use using "contact" not exactly sure what they mean i just don't want the humidity to mess up the wood.
    i have decided not to use the drain and sitting water i went with cat box instead also do you think i will need both che and a daytime solar light
    recardocage.png

Attached Files:

17. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

My suggestion is to actually make it big enough for the animal you are planning to put in there.

18. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

4x3x2 is not big enough?....

19. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

i have seen plenty of enclousers about this size with healthy full grown cwd..... is this truly not enough space

20. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

They are arboreal. You need more height.