This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure - Tomb Themed - Need Help

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Jimsmithjr, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jimsmithjr

Jimsmithjr New Member

2. Jimsmithjr

Jimsmithjr New Member

My son and I are creating a custom enclosure for our Water Dragon (Fluffy). This is our second build (first was 75 gal tank) and we are going all out. We are trying to keep the coast down (hard thing to do). This is an old TV / Armoir cabinet This has a 20 gallon fish tank in the bottom on one side, and a tray for dirt on the other. The theme is a temple with a waterfall coming from the top down to the tank below. We are planing to cut wholes in the top to mount lights. Looking at sliding glass doors for the front.

My question has to do with structures made of Styrofoam. We are building brick walls made of Styrofoam and covering with sanded grout. What should I use to harden and waterproof it. I've looked at "Pond Armor" but wow that is $$$ for the amount I will need (did I mention we need to keep the cost down?)

Any lessons learned would be great too.

Thanks

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I've heard good things about drylok but haven't personally used the stuff.

Jimsmithjr likes this.
  4. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

I've used pond armor and loved it. Certain brands of liquid rubber might work as a cheaper alternative. I'm not sure about grout, but "Poly super strength cement" has been used for Styrofoam covering. 3 or 4 coats 24 hours apart and no other sealant, even in aquariums (water changed after it leeches out and changes the pH before fish can be added). Maybe run it a few days and replace the water before lizard enters. Check out that poly brand. I'm trying to think of a grout sealant, going on a limb, fiberglass resin?.

5. Jimsmithjr

Jimsmithjr New Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I might switch to the "Poly super strength cement" not sure yet. I have a sealant I'm adding to the grout that is supposed to harden and waterproof. Just not sure I trust it.