This Disappears When Logged In

New Burmese Owner

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by VeritasCurat, Jul 20, 2014.

1. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Alright second rat given to her. She was very eager to get it haha. It put a little bit of a bump in her but nothing huge. So she may be ready for xls? Or just 2 larges. I checked on her after feeding and before I had to go back to work and she was still acting like she wanted more haha. I assume this is just feeding instincts still being kicked in. I'll give her a couple days to digest and go from there. I do appreciate all the information everyone has given me. I hope I get her tamed so she can be handled but if she will be display only I'll be just as happy. Will be buying a hook and following instructions I saw someone post about rubbing their sides and head a few times a day for a couple days and feeding a couple days after that.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

After feeding it should leave a pretty noticable lump. Not surprised she took a second with gusto, but if 2 larges only left a small lump, probably need to bump up to an XL, or maybe even 2 XLs. Depends on the actual size of the rats too, a large is not the same size everywhere. I've seen more than one store selling what I would call mediums as larges. And I would start looking for a source of small rabbits soon, your gonna need them eventually.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I agree with darkbird on everything. You really dont want to have to handle an adult burm on feeding day, that is a recipe for a Stupid Feeding Error, and with the big pythons that can easily turn into a dangerous situation. Getting a snake out of feeding mode is pretty simple. A light tap on the nose or head with an object like a snake hook or paper towel roll is usually all that is necessary. With big snakes your next step is to use that object to block their head as you go to touch them. This is a precaution for your own safety. You dont need to pin the head or anything like that, just get the hook or whatever in position between the pointy end of the snake and your hand to prevent a strike at your hand as you go to touch the snake. Usually at that point you are good to pick your snake up safely. Now is the time to practice these methods so both you and the snake are comfortable with each other. By getting practice in now when the snake is a managable size you can make mistakes without putting yourself in a bad situation

4. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Thank you again so much for all this information! I was able to finally order a hook today. I ordered just a standard 40" from midwest tongs or whatever the site is. Obviously this isn't made to hold her but it will work to train her.. However, i think the ***** has gone crazy lol. I was plugging in a proper timer for her light and she actually struck the cage at me. Could she STILL be hungry even after 2 large rats and I just haven't satiated the beast? (lol). I don't have anything at the moment to initiate hook training and opening the cage for other purposes than feeding but i've definitely left her to her own devices to get comfortable. I fear that maybe she will be just a display pet which is OK as I live by myself anyways at the moment so once she gets bigger I won't be handling her anyways. This just kind of surprised me. C'est la vie.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would say, yup, she may still be hungry. And I suspect she may not have been handled all that much, but that's me guessing. And don't worry, a few days without any interaction won't be a big deal. And it may take a while of feeding her up before she calms down all the way, hungry burms are very food aggressive in my experience. Actually, that was how I always got bit, something utterly stupid on my part involving food.

6. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

yeah i figured as much. ive left her alone for now. my hook should be arriving in the next couple days and i'll be feeding her again. This time just going to give her 2 large rats at once. I can't clean her cage though because of how aggressive she's being so maybe she'll tone down a bit and let me clean it lol.

7. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Alright so here's an update if anyone was curious..
    I received my snake hook in today. Worked with her a little bit on it..she's definitely very curious what it is and was sniffing it and let me rub her with it. So going to be trying to work with her on that. I have noticed her eyes getting a little foggy so shedding is imminent. Other than that the aggression seems to have semi passed. I had to move her into a new room in my apartment and she's a little ****ed about that but she'll be alright.

Edit: she also let me clean out her cage. I took a paper towel roll and batted her on the nose before i put my whole arm in her cage to clean it and she left me alone. If she started looking antsy I just batted her again gently and she was ok.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad to hear. And just a small warning, they can get pretty grumpy before/during the shedding process, so that may even account for some of the attitude. I know with the big girl I used to have, it just wasn't woth messing with her when she was blue. Not to mention a solid 30 second hiss coming from a 13ish foot snake leaves you in no doubt as to their mood.

9. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too. I had noticed last week sometime a bit of a blue reflection of the light off her scales so I assumed shedding was imminent. As far as feeding goes..should I still give her 2 rats? My ball didnt give 2 ****s about food when she was shedding so I wasnt sure on a burm.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If she'll take it, and I'm betting she will, then go ahead and feed. Once she's caught up and growing good, she may start declining food during shed, but I tend to doubt it. But with her hunger right now, I'd bet she'll hit no matter what. Might take a bit longer and be less accurate on the strike due to poor vision, but I think she'll take anything you offer.

11. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Alright sorry for such a long time between responses. She did indeed take a rat that I gave her..completely whiffed on striking it because of the shedding but devoured it. She seems to be shedding decently well and not being overly aggressive. she was actually very inquisitive yesterday while I was petting her with the snake hook moving all around and very energetic..I came home today and she struck the snake hook once and then left it alone and let me pet her with it..I am going to be going on vacation for a week and i'll be feeding her tomorrow a couple rats to tide her over until I get back and hopefully this alone time will also help her..her light is set up on a timer so that will be properly managed. I still have yet to actually handle her but we're getting there. Talking with my father (who owned 2 flawless redtail boas) he said the snake hook is crap and i just need to reach in and grab them..but i am hesitant to do so. we'll see what happens.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your fathers opinion is just that. His opinion.
    Experienced keepers have been using snake hooks for a long time!
    And there is a bit of temperament difference between boas and burms.

13. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

So here's an update for yah. Go on vacation feeding her a big rat before I leave...come back and shes spilled her water and made an overall mess of the cage but seemed fine. Cleaned her water ip and went to bed. Monday, go to work come home with rats but dont feed her yet. Up until this moment I've been hesitant to handle her because I wasn't sure how shed react. I decide she needs to cold out so I can do a full cleaning of her cage. I get her with the hook pull out her head, wait for the back end to come out, lift her up and out and put her in the new aquarium. No hissing, no striking, nothing. Same with getting her back in.
    Now what I have noticed is occasionally she will hit the hooks curved side and realize its not food then calm down..but its not a hard hit, just a warning I think? But she has progressed quite well!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you are on the right track. One thing, don't try to hook behind the head and drag her out. Get farther down the body. This will give you more control.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds great, just what I'd expect from a burm. Just needed fed up a bit and to get settled and over shedding. Keep wotking with her and eventually she should stop hitting the hook. You may even get to the point of not needing it, but no big deal if you don't.

16. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

When i said hook the head i should have worded it better haha..i did see someone say go for their middle section and that's what i've done, but yes I am glad she's finally relaxing and being calm. Maybe my week away on vacation was good for her and I haha.