This Disappears When Logged In

New Burmese Owner

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by VeritasCurat, Jul 20, 2014.

1. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Greetings everyone. This is my first post on here and I am just seeking some advice.
    Growing up ( I am now 22 ) I had a ball python for a few years and loved her..she was maybe 3 1/2 feet long and would let me handle her all the time..Recently I have acquired a 2 year old, 5' burmese python from a friend who is moving and can no longer care for her. She is in a custom built cage out of wood with a typical water dish, carpeted portion, and a stick for her to wrap herself around..the cage has wire mesh on the tops and sides as well as the heat lamp on the top of the cage. I've had her a total of maybe 48 hours so far and if I approach the cage she quickly perks up, looks right at me, and just sits there. If I make any kind of movement she follows me and does not hiss..but just stares at me..

Tonight I tried letting her out and adventure around my apartment a little bit and try to get to know the environment and I proceeded to try and put her back in after maybe 20 minutes or so..When I went to pick her up she began not necessarily hissing at me but what sounded like blowing air out of nostrils..she didn't look at me and do this just slithered away while making this sound. I was able to get her secured back into her cage and turned her lamp back on and I am now on here asking.

So here's my question..What is this sound? Is this normal? Is she just tense because of the new environment and I should let her be for a little while? I am not necessarily afraid of her by any means but I do not enjoy being bitten just like everyone else lol

edit: I should also say that the owner told me she has no history of biting but it has been a couple months since she has been handled as he has been too busy with work to handle her. He also said he typically feeds her medium sized rats once a week. Is this accurate or should I adjust it accordingly?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Not to be mean but I don't think that is at all suitable for your snake....

4. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

like i said he built it not me. I'm looking to rebuild it soon anyways. Now back to the questions on hand lol

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I was just stating lol not to be rude or anything... What is it you are really concerned about... I know if snakes feel threatened or stressed they will make a hiss/puffing sound... May have been just that and I would give him/her a month or two to acclimate to it's new home and go from there....

6. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

that was mainly my question.. I have researched and wanted to make sure that maybe it was just the change in scenery. I'll give her some time and taking care of water/feeding and go from there. like i said though I am looking into rebuilding the cage anyways because IMO it looks too small for how big she is but im not 100% sure honestly lol

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

That was my concern about the cage as well as if she was having a bad day if I'm wrong just say as m not a snake person as I mainly deal with iguanas, but she might be able to bust those board slats out as this cage looks very poorly built... Also it doesn't he hear or humidity at all which can also be causing it's attitude.....

8. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

i can assure you it is very well built. the pictures dont do it justice as it is very strong and heavy as **** to carry. I am looking into getting a digital thermometer / humidity reader this week as well. she really does seem like she was very well taken care of it just might be the new environment

9. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Sorry for double post..
    but he also told me she eats 1x a week otherwise gets temperamental..everything ive read has said burmese only need to eat 1 every 2 weeks..is this accurate?

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

The hissing sound is just general snake attitude about being messed with. Its pretty common with a lot of python species. She may calm down about it with some more handling or she may stay huffy and puffy, just depends on the animal. Keep working with her a lot now while she is still a managable size. You dont want a ****y 10-14 footer in a couple of years! Its probably a good time to invest in a heavy duty snake hook as well.

As far as food goes most big snake owners do slow down on feeding after about 2 years old to keep the snake fit and a managable size. Big pythons essentially grow to their maximum adult size based on how much food they eat. However, that snake is really small for a 2 year old female burm. I would expect it to be 8+ feet by now. One of a few things are possible: 1) its actually a male 2) its not half as old as you were told 3); it hasnt been fed half as much as you were told. So that makes it tough to asses a feeding schedule. What are you feeding currently?

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I used to keep burms for a while so I'll deal with the behavioral issues first. What you were hearing is probably her mildly annoyed hiss. With the new owner and environment, she'll need time to settle in. Unless of course she's getting ready to shed, as some can get rather grumpy then. As for feeding, it is a bit hard to guage size in these pics, but a medium rat is way too small for a 5' burm. She probably needs to be on large or jumbo rats, they should be leaving a good lump in her when she's finished. How often depends on the snake, body condition and growth rate, but 1-2 weeks is ok.
    Now, even though you didn't ask, I think some issues with the cage need addressed. Personally, I would just scrap that one in favor of a custom built plywod cage. Besides being needlessly overbuilt, it will be too small in the long run anyway, and that mesh presents a number of serious issues. You have no chance of controlling heat and humidity, plus they can end up hurting themselves on it when they end up rubbing their noses on it. I've been down that road myself, and even if it's never happened yet it still could. And you need to get a digital thermometer/hygrometer in there, I reccomend the accurite ones from Walmart or Lowes. They have one for around 12 dollars that reads temps and humidity at the base unit and has a probe that can read temps wherever you place it. I usually place the base at the cool end and the probe on the basking site.

12. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Just reread your first post that said medium rats weekly. That seems a little too small in my opinion. I would think large or jumbo rats once a week would be a better meal now, which should get its growth back on track, and it should be ready for small rabbits in a few months. If you start feeding it well now and she still doesnt seem to want to grow much you can start backing off the feeding in 6 months or so

Not to be a jerk, but that cage is pretty bad. The chicken wire sides are a recipe for major snake injury from nose rubbing. Plus with all that wire and just a lightbulb on top there is no way it is holding appropriate temperatures. Your snake needs a thermal gradient from the mid 90's on the hot side to about 80 degs on the cool end.

13. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

What would be a good size cage for an adult burm? Everything I've seen is maybe 8' long x 3' tall x 3' wide. Is this a decent size? My father and I would be constructing this out of plywood and plexiglass with all necessary reinforcing in it.

With the food I will begin giving her large rats once a week. I did ask the original owner again and he assured me she was 2 years old and from what everyone is saying she should be much larger by now. Hopefully I can get her back on her normal growth curve.

I have found a case design that I really like and once I move into my new apartment I will be working on building it. I am also going to be ordering a snake hook this week. From everything i've read for a burm you really dont use it for picking them up with it just differentiating between feeding time and handling time.

14. Darkbird

The 8x3x3 would be fine for an adult, but an 8x4 footprint would be better, and probably cost nothing more to build if you can manage the space. And what you were referring to is usually called hook training, where the snake hook is used to let the animal know you are not food. I'm not entirely familiar with the methods as I've never used it, I was always handling mine a bunch so I never really had an issue unless I did something stupid.

15. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Alright one final question. I've seen a lot of mixed thoughts on this topic.

Feed inside their regular cage or put them in a different cage for feeding?

16. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

Alright well i fed her today with a large rat. she seemed to have zero issues getting it down. She appeared to be starving and barely let me get it into her cage before she struck it.

17. Darkbird

The reason you see so much conflicting info on whether to feed in or out of the cage is that neither method is really wrong or right. The 2 reasons I most often hear for feeding outside the cage are cage aggression, and ingestion of substrate, so I'll adress those first. First off, cage aggression is a myth, plain and simple. A conditioned feed response however is not. If all you ever do is open the door and toss in food, then of course that's what the animal will expect. Now as for ingesting substrate, it really isn't a big deal with snakes, as long as your not using a substrate with a huge particle size, like some of the bark chips they sell as reptile bedding. After all, snake don't go looking for amsheet of paper towel to eat on in the wild, nor do they make any effort to wipe things off. Now as you might have guessed, I'm not a big fan of feeding outside the cage. I can almlst always find more reasons not to than I can find in favor of it. But this is me and my opinion at this point. I have a large collection, and feeding in a separate tub would be way to time consuming. In your case, you have to consider how large this snake is going to get, and whether thrying to move it will really benefit you in the long run. Trust me, it's no fun trying to wrestle a 14' snake back into a cage, not to mention the excitement of dealing with it if it's still in feed mode. Even the tamest snake can make a mistake when food's involved. There's also the issue that once the snake gets big, you'll want a second person around when handing for safety reasons. Might be tough find someone who wants to hang around and watch you feed it, might not. And lastly, you'll never find a tub large enough to feed it in after a certain point, so in my opinion you'll be better of with the hook training and feeding in the cage.

18. VeritasCurat

VeritasCurat Member

alright good to know! I did give her a large rat and im going to order a snake hook now from midwest i think..everyone says theyre the highest quality. She's actually exhibiting a bit more aggression today than normal 24 hours after being fed. When i approach her cage she's very quick to get into a position like she wants to strike and just sits there flicking her tongue at me and eyeing me..maybe still tryin to get used to a new environment.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds more like she may still be hungry.

20. Darkbird

Exactly what I was going to say Merlin. From what I gather she has been underfed for a long time, so it may take while to get her caught up. There is also some chance of that conditioned feed response I mention earlier, depending on how much she was handled. But probably just hungry. Did the large rat leave a nice lump in her? Just wondering if maybe it needs to have an XL or maybe 2 large.