This Disappears When Logged In

New Brb Mom

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Jennifer Keeler, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Hi. I'm new to this site and to being a snake owner. Our Brazilian Rainbow Boa will not eat. I don't know what to do. His temp in the cage is 80 degrees, humidity 90%. Petco reps told me NEVER to feed in the which is a 20 gallon tank. It has been two weeks. Ive tried thawing a fuzzy and making sure it's warm enough. I also tried leaving one in the cage overnight. I believe he is still a baby/ juvenile. He has not shed, nor is he showing any signs of shedding. When should I start worrying?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You can feed in the tank it doesn't make a difference...
    I know you said 80 degrees but give us more details on temps. Hot side temps and cold side temps.
    Btw welcome!

3. I decided to feed in the tank even though they said NEVER EVER- and he ate two f/t fuzzies. I'm so excited. It had been two weeks, and Now he's just chilling out on his hiding log. Btw- I have no idea of the sex. I know about sexing babies, but can you sex a juvie?

4. AmityReptiles

Awesome. But make sure your temps are right or he won't be able to digest it... 80 is too low if that is accurate. I keep my rainbows at a 90f hotspot and they are on it atleast half of the time.
    You can sex juvies but how old exactly? Might have to be probed... once he gets a couple years on him you will see a slight bulge if its a male though.

5. Aren't males usually smaller than females? I'm surprised - but shouldn't be- that Petco did not know the sex. Hoping he's a male! It's 78• on the cool side, not on his heating pad under the tank.

6. AmityReptiles

Yes but really hard to tell when young... I've got baby columbian males that are bigger than alot of my females. What's the temp on the heating pad? (The temp that the snake comes in contact with)

7. Not sure, it's the pad that Petco told me to purchase. I'm a novice at being a snake mom. It goes under the glass tank.

8. AmityReptiles

If he's still fairly young and you know a friend or a good exotics store that would pop him for ya you could try that.

9. As far as sexing?

10. AmityReptiles

Ok. Not to alarm you but you need to get a thermostat or dimmer asap to regulate the heat mat if you haven't already. Those things are incredibly unsafe on their own. They will burn your snake in an instant.

11. AmityReptiles

Yes as far as sexing goes.

12. poop. Why did they tell me to get it? How do I regulate a heat mat? I also have 2-3" of substrate in the tank. He isn't directly on the mat. What do I do?

13. AmityReptiles

Pet store staff isn't the best as far as Info goes. They more just know what to sell with what animal.
    As far as a solution goes, here's a dimmer that is user friendly.
    Lutron TT-300H-WH Electronics Plug-In Lamp Dimmer, White - Plug In Dimmer Switches - Amazon.com
    And here's a link to an IR gun. This will allow you to take surface temps properly.
    Amazon.com: Tacklife IT-T02 Classic Infrared Thermometer -58°F ~ 716°F(-50℃~380℃) Non-contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun with LCD Backlit for Cooking - Ideal Father's Day Gift: Home & Kitchen

14. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

First, check e-bay for a cheap laser thermometer. I picked one up a couple years ago for around $10 shipped, and I think the same ones are still available. Best thing ever to accurately check temps in your enclosure. You can get a cheap thermostat from The Bean Farm, or shop Amazon for something similar. If you want a better t-stat check out a herpstat or Helix DBS 1000. Only heat mats I use are ultratherms from Reptile Basics, unlike the stick-on type they won't get hot enough to cook your critters if you're using a cheap t-stat and it fails. As far as that goes, some of my tubs are on those heat mats w/out a t-stat to regulate them. I set them up with the heat mat under a large (24 square inch) ceramic tile to distribute the heat, and make sure the warm end isn't too hot.
    Eventually you're going to want/need a larger enclosure. I use Animal Plastics (white) pvc, they hold heat and humidity much better than aquariums. Worst thing is the wait, usually at least several months, for your order to get shipped. However, their prices are good and the quality is better IME.

15. AmityReptiles

So once you get the dimmer and ir gun, you can dim it and check the temps once it heats up, and make sure it's at the right level. Another solution would to set up a thermostat with the heat mat. Some pet stores have ones for heat mats but they're usually overpriced. But fairly easy to use. You can also find ones on Amazon that you plug the heat mat into, and then you just attach the probe to the bottom of the heat mat and your good. You will still have to set it up to the right temp though. The t-stat won't show the same temperature as inside the enclosure with the snake, it will show the temp of the actual heat mat.

16. Thank you all

17. AmityReptiles

Thanks for the tips on the pvc enclosure. I'm going to be upgrading some of my animals soon and this seems like a great option!