This Disappears When Logged In

New Boa Kills but Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by jcollard, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

And ideally, that would be wonderful. But frankly, I have a life and don't feel like taking the time to post every single defense behind the advice that I offer. If a newb would like to know the reasoning behind the advice beyond "new tank stress", they can ask and I'll explain as best I can. But it's not my job to be responsible for their assumptions.

I agree that it could be a problem, but the bigger problem is having to deal with the all the myths in the herp world that are actually being spread like wildfire. Like turtles can live in a bowl their whole life, beardies only need crickets to survive, etc. etc. When a newb comes to me with a belief like these, I will take the time to disprove them and lay out the reasonings behind them, because I am trying to persuade them to a different way of thinking. But if they just come in asking for advice, that's what I'll give.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its not entirely accurate, though it isn't entirely false either. You are splitting hairs now and it is getting VERY old, VERY fast.

If a newbie comes along and asks why their snake isn't eating, and they have had it for 2 days and have handled it the entire time, feel free to post every reason that the snake may not be eating. If you are being thorough, they won't be handling the snake for at least 5 days. Now at this point, it doesn't matter if the snake needed time to adjust for thermoregulation, destressing, etc. 98% of ALL posts pertaining to a non-feeding snake, with the exception being ball pythons who sometimes fast, are normally from NOT leaving the snake alone. It's amazing how leaving the snake alone for a week or so can fix just about all of the issues that COULD be leading it not to eat.

Those it doesn't cure typically result in an additional thread and there are normally underlying issues.

Since the average snake can easily go a month or more without eating, waiting those few days will do absolutely nothing if it were something else that could have been causing the issue.

Your argument is pretty clear. It may not just be stress causing the snake not to eat. Moving doesn't cause a great deal of stress.

You are free to post whatever you wish when someone has a snake issue related to not eating. By all means post every reason that could lead it to not eating. Just make sure you add that they shouldn't be handling the snake daily and that it "could" be stress also. (Since even you know that stress is a reason as well.)

Unless anyone has something to add that hasn't been stated already or regurgitated umpteen times, please move on. At this point, the thread is beating a dead horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.