This Disappears When Logged In

New Blue Dumpy Tree Frog

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Og_, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

007_233857_thumb.jpg

006_382470_thumb.jpg

I have tried ordering a blue from my trusted source to no avail!
    So I gave up and bought one from Petsmart. EEEK!
    I hope the situation is salvageable!
    They had two. I asked to look at them because I didn't have a good viewpoint.

They were dark purple!
    I asked why they were so dark when the picture below the tank showed a light blue frog.
    I got one of those "Dumb, Non-intelligent" responses, "It depends on the time of day as to what color they are."
    And just then I realized that I am at Petsmart! Number one rule, Don't ask a question that needs a knowledeable answer!
    Not only that, but they did not ask me if I had any idea of how to care for it, Nor did they give me any care information!

Attached Files:

2. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Nice, I think some countries need like a permit to say you can look after herptiles. Just like a little card thing. Best way to do it.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, yeah (s)he is pretty dark. I would definitely go through the necessary 'new pet' channels and get it checked for parasites, you never know what you'll get at chain stores.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd wisk off a sample to the vet. Usually that dark purple color in those guys is a sign of stress. How was the temp of the tank? Humidity? Did he have any other tank mates besides the other dumpy? How big was his little place? I know normally they are only house in about 5 gallons worth of space.

See if he greens/blues up with proper care and a proper house and about a week to settle in. The usual applies. Just go in the tank to water and feed. I'd try feeding him in about 24 hours after his arrival. How big is he? He looks like he has a decent sized belly so that's a good sign.

He does have blue/green undertones, so you may have gotten lucky.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Well, I checked him this afternoon and he is twice as blue as he was yesterday with purple still around the head and the middle of the back. I tried to take a pic, but he wouldn't sit still long enough.

He is supposed to be captive born.

I don't know the temp of the tank or the humidity when it was at petsmart.
    From my experience in maintaining enclosures, the store tank looked fairly dry. They had an open screened top in an air conditioned building. And I know that those commercial AC units on the roof have dehumidifiers built into them!

Right now he's between 75 to 85 degrees. 85 being the daytime temp. Humidity about 70%.

Oh yeah, And the sales person also told me that they will gradually turn light blue as they get older!
    I believe this is going to be the first and last time I buy herps from petsmart.:(

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Don't connect the sales lady to the herps that come in. The herps are sent through a regional distributer, and often the store has no idea what they are getting in. She's an idiot and is probably only repeating what some other idiot store help told her.

Glad to hear his color is getting better. He'll settle in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.