This Disappears When Logged In

New Beardie Enclosure

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Dnm1012, Mar 18, 2010.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think there was something posted on here before, but I can`t see it, so do as you say!

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

As long as it's ceramic and rated for the wattage light you are getting clamp lamp in fine. I use a deep dome with my 100W megaray (I'll hunt a pic up of the dome I use and post it in a few)

3. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Here's what the mega Ray sales team had to say.

The lights cannot be run on a dimmer. A 150 watt fixture can work for the bulb, though we do normally recommend whatever fixture you use be rated for twice the wattage of the bulb. I do not know where OKC is, so I cannot tell you if I have a local distributor in your area. We alwasy recommend multiple basking spots if the enclosure allows for it.

Just as an FYI they have a q&a section on their web page that is very informational for anyone doing research on the megarays.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

5. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Sh a pic from your megaray setup would be much appreciated!!!! Thanx in advance!!!

I will look onto one of those this will be my 4th light fixture to buy!! Anyone interested in a cheap 150watt 8.5" clamp lamp?? Lol
    thanx everyone!!!

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It's just that dome with the megaray in it sitting on top of his enclosure ;)

But, I'll post you a pic later when I locate the camera (girlfriend put it somewhere and she's at work right now)

7. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Does the mega Ray hang out of the fixture at all?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To my knowledge the MegaRays are only availble online.
    You MUST have a ceramic/porcelin socket for both MR as well as your heat lamp. The standard plastic sockets will melt.

9. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

All of my fixtures are ceramic, thank goodness. I think the megaray will be my next purchase before buying supplies to build the new enclosure. I am hoping to find some free scrap wood since they are still building new houses in my neighborhood.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No, it does not stick out at all. I'll take some pics tonight after lights out so you can see exactly what a 100W megaray looks like in the fixture.

11. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I am thinking that I might switch all of my lighting for the new enclosure over to mega rays the prices are really reasonable. I don't mind spending a little more money for something that will last way longer than common petstore bulbs...

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you planning on having the lamps inside or outside, because I can tell you the bulb plus ceramic holder measures 7inches, and I presume the holder will be slightly longer than that. (Steve)?

13. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

That I am going to have to give some more thought to. I am not sure that I really like the idea of really really hot bulbs being in the enclosure with my little guy. Thoughts? What do y'all do with your lights?

14. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I am sure it's prob more beneficial to have them in the enclosure with them but the thought of that bulb busting or falling for some odd reason really freaks me out.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Well, we have different animals, (Steve and myself) which require high humidity, and also, our animals are excellent climbers, but myself, I`ve never had a problem with him getting near the hot lamps. You will need to allow at least 12inches between the surface of the MR and the lizard, in which case, if inside, better to go a little taller. (You don`t need such high humidity so you could even have a part mesh top, (making sure the mesh is large enough to allow the UVB rays to pass through). but you will obviously lose heat that way. In a tank that size, I think you will need a160watt, and possibly supplementary heat and light as I mentioned.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could do something along the lines of what I did with my CHE in my boa cage. IMG_0487.jpg
    It is attached directly to the top of the enclosure and doesn't add much length to the device.
    Of course when I have to replace the heat emitter it is going to be a bear to get out!
    I am already thinking on that for my next one so it will be easier to acess.

Attached Files:

17. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

These are great ideas!!! I will keep these in mind as I begin my planning of my enclosure!!!

18. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

What about the vent(s) location for proper ventilation in the enclosure any ideas? How many will I need, where should I locate them, what material would be best to use for the vents, etc...

19. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I have seen several examples of what others have done but what is the overall best practice?

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Re making it easier to access; How about the actual ceramic holder with the emmiter attached on the piece of wood is actually a circle cut slightly larger than the hole in the roof, then it would simply sit on top, and you would just be raising the holder and heater through the roof, leaving the steel rim and mesh cage still in place, ( If that`s clear)?

Attached Files: