This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Damnedheart, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Just got a baby Uro today. She was labeled "Yellow Uromastyx" so I'm guessing she's a Yellow Nigerian Uro. She has yellow spots on her sides. Right now i have her on newsprint but i want to get seeds soon. She's in a 20 gallon i had. I have a 100 uvb and a 125 uvb. I dont know which to use. I know they like it hot but im afraid to bake her. I just had a bad experience with a Water Dragon that passed away when i know everything in the tank was perfect. So I'm paranoid something will happen to my Uro

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Check this out.
    Uromastyx | Reptile Forums - Information

The biggest mistake I've seen is keeping Uros too dry.
    Are those bulbs 100watt and 125watt? That would likely be way too much heat in a 20 gal.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

You will need to experiment with the wattage to figure out what you will need to get the proper basking temps, and if you don't already have one go get an infrared temp gun, that will be your most accurate way to check basking site temps.

4. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Actually it isnt going above 95 with the 100 watt uvb. Should i switch to the 125 watt?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what are you using to measure the temps and which temp is not going above 95f, ambient or basking surface?
    Can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure, including a top view?
    Can you also give the brand name of the UVB bulb and say if it`s a MVB (mercury vapour)?

6. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Im disinfecting a second hide. Hopefully itll be good by tomorrow night. And the bulb is powersun and its mv yes. The newsprint is temporary. I might do play sand or clay on the bottom and seeds over that.

Attached Files:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and details. You will never be able to control the temps or humidity with the screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible, kitchen foil/similar is o.k although once you do that the temps will obviously rise, you haven`t said how you`re measuring them (ambient and surface)?
    I think it will be very difficult to get a suitable temp gradient in such a small fishtank.
    The American manufactured Powersun bulbs are not very efficient regarding the amount of UVB they produce (or at least they weren`t a couple of years ago) possibly because of the lower voltage over there, I believe 125v as opposed to 240v here in Europe? Better are the Arcadia brand or Mega-Ray MVB`s, alternatively a UVB fluorescent tube (the screen will also block some of the UVB). There`s also a minimum distance from the face of the Powersun to the closest surface of the animal, that being 30cm (12 inches) how tall is this tank?
    EDIT: I cannot see an actual solid basking object, where is it (something that will retain the heat)?

8. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Sorry i checked the surface temp which was 95. And the tank is 12 inches deep. I have a 90 gallon i feel like thats way too big for her at this age though. Would it be a good size if i divided it?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What did you use to check the surface temp? There really is no such thing as "too big" when we`re discussing something measuring several feet! In a 90g (I have no idea how big that is in cm or inches?) but I imagine easier to maintain a decent temp gradient, instead of partitioning it off just make more use of the space as far as "furniture" goes, the present setup is absolutely bare as well as too small. I think the changes required are urgent, the lizard is at the most vulnerable time of it`s life.

10. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

The 90 is 4 feet so 48 inches. I also have a 50 which is 3 feet/36 inches. My bearded dragon is in that now but i can move him to the 90 and give the 50 to the uro