This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Shauna0522, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Shauna0522

Shauna0522 Member

Hi I am new here, I just got my first BRB last Friday and she was fed the Saturday before I got her but she won't eat for me. When I got her she was super dehydrated and very cold so I soaked her in some warm water and she is now in an aquarium she's no longer dehydrated no longer cold but for some reason she won't eat is this normal is it too soon to try to feed her or should I be worried? I have had a red tail boa in the past and I never had any problems with him eating but I've never had a baby so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Please help

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Give her time to settle into the new environment, and make sure it isn't too warm. BRB's require very high humidity but not as much heat as red tails.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Probably too soon to feed. Give her some more time to relax. What is your temps/humidity? Enclosure pics would help too. Just to make sure there's nothing stressing her out.

4. Shauna0522

Shauna0522 Member

She is in a 30 gallon tall Aquarium her cold side is around 69 to 75 and her warm side is 77 to 83 I just got a new 150 watt red light bulb to bring the heat up the humidity at the top is 50-60% right now I just got some moss to put in her warm hide for some extra humidity, next week I'm going to get some of the coconut fiber to mix with the Cyprus substrate to add more humidity. I will post some pictures soon

5. Shauna0522

Shauna0522 Member

I was going to post a picture of her enclosure but it keeps telling me the picture is too large

6. AmityReptiles

Get a humidity reading from the bottom as that's where the snake will be spending most of its time.
    Need to get the temp and humidity up asap. Hot spot needs to be 85-87f. And humidity needs to be much higher. 80%+
    You can increase humidity and some heat if you cover your screen top as much as possible.

the snake won't eat until it has acclimated to It's environment and is comfortable, which won't happen til you fix this.

150watts seems excessive. How are you measuring temps and humidity?

Also, a tall aquarium is usually reserved for arboreal species, brbs are semi-arboreal but I find they spend most of the time on the ground, especially when warming and sleeping, usually only climbing alittle bit when active at night time. For this reason I recommend a terrestrial setup, with branches and furniture to climb on. A tall aquarium can still work, provided you can get adequate heat to the bottom, and there is a good amount of floor space the snake can roam on.

7. Shauna0522

Shauna0522 Member

Temps are up to 80 on cool side and 85 warm side the humidity again in the top is now 65% I will move the hydrometer to the bottom I have two of the thermometers with the needles on them one on each end both on the bottom. She has lots of room to move around and some branches to climb as well. the 150 watt seems to be doing great for the heat the 100 watt that I was using wasn't keeping her temperature where it needed to be so I think I have everything covered now... I hope.

8. AmityReptiles

That's fine, but the analog thermometers and hygrometers (the ones with needles) are very inaccurate. Need to switch to digital or you will be working with bad info.

9. Shauna0522

Shauna0522 Member

Ok thank you for all of your help I really appreciate it.