This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Boas

Discussion in 'Boas' started by constrictor, Aug 12, 2016.

1. constrictor

constrictor New Member

i have 13 new born boas born 4 weeks ago 11 have had there first shed but none will eat
    i have tried mice flufs/pinkeys/rat pups but will not eat anybody got any advice please.

2. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Have you tried "braining" the mice? Were they alive or frozen? Congratulations on your baby snakes!

3. constrictor

constrictor New Member

i;m new to all this none of it was planned the mice and pups were frozen and i don't no what braining is

4. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Maybe try live mice. THE FOLLOWING IS GRAPHIC, NOT FOR FAINT OF HEART. Braining is when you poke a hole in a dead mouse's skull and, yes this is nasty, dribble the brain all over the mouse. Personally, I can't do this, and I am not squeamish, so it isn't an option for everyone, but it sometimes entices snakes to eat. Hope you have better luck with your snakes. They should eat eventually.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you housing them?

6. constrictor

constrictor New Member

they are all housed separate

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

It's only necessary to cut open the skull to expose the brain, or maybe squeeze a bit out to allow the snake/s to get the scent. Boas don't have heat sensing pits like pythons, so the exact temp isn't critical, but the f/t should be warm to start with, not just thawed to room temp. Wiggling a bit with tongs should provoke a feeding response, assuming the husbandry is correct. If that still doesn't work try live.