This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Beardie May Have a Problem?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by irishluck, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Depends on the lizard. I would say a minimum of two weeks.

2. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Okay so this is what I need to do to care for my dragon:

At least give it two weeks before handling him. Also about 2 weeks before giving him baths.
    I feed him twice a day, and should keep feeding him until he is full.
    Should coat crickets in calcium every other day.
    Basking lamp should be about 110* and about 6" away from the lamp for him.
    Also need a UVB lamp and ceramic heater to keep it around 70-80* at night.
    Plenty of hiding places and things to crawl on and what not. Which I should have got the rest of my things for him delivered today.
    Don't really need to leave a water dish for them as they get there hydration from baths and mostly from food.
    Feed them fresh greens daily and once in awhile some fruit. But need to wait till they get a little older before they really start eating greens.

Did I miss anything? Or does that pretty much sum up what I need to do?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Pretty much sums it up but I would suggest feeding him 3 times a day and you should put a water dish in with him. A shallow dish will suffice but they should always have fresh clean water available to them.

4. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

I will put in a water dish for him.

But its hard to feed him 3 times a day.
    I feed him before I go to work in the morning, and then I feed him when I get home at 6pm. Maybe I should try and feed him around 9 or 10pm as well?

5. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Twice a day is fine, there is no need to feed any more than that.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't want to feed them that late. Cut it off a couple of hours before lights out. This gives them time to digest what is in their belly before it gets cooler

7. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Good, 2 times works for me. He is eating great though so that is good!
    Got some of his other supplies for his cage yesterday but apparently forgot to order some hides!

Has anyone ever ordered live crickets from a company called reptilefood.com and had issues?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Years ago before I started raising my own feeders I used them without any difficulties. But as I said that was years ago.

9. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Yea well I dont know who's fault it was but I ordered mine before there cutoff time on Tuesday. Suppose to be delivered Wednesday. Didn't show up till Thursday and only 20 were alive out of 1000. They were sending out a replacement yesterday to arrive today by 10:30 and still nothing has showed up. Its now 12pm. They wont contact me back with tracking information or anything in the last 24 hours.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how`s the small spot on the stomach now?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I got timed out (again)!?
    You MUST provide clean fresh drinking water at all times even if you never see the lizard take it. If keepers offered them suitable conditions INSIDE the enclosure there would be little need to bathe them in order to help keep them hydrated/shed the skin.
    They need a moderate humidity level, approx 30 to 50%+ is fine. The problem with most captives is that they are kept on non particulate substrates such as ceramic tiles, reptile carpet, etc with no provision for burrowing under anything where the humidity may be significantly higher (which is precisely what they do in the wild). I do understand the concerns about particulate substrates being a risk to hatchlings in particular, so would agree with the majority on that point.
    You basically need to know just two temps on/above the ground; the surface at the basking site at between approx 40 to 45c (105 to approx 115f), it wouldn`t matter if it was a touch higher so long as there are cooler places to retreat to in the basking area and elsewhere.
    Then the coolest ambient (air) @ approx 21 to 24c (72 to 75f), they NEED somewhere to cool right down at times, temps in the mid 80`sF don`t allow that to any great extent (during the daytime). Nighttime temps shouldn`t fall below 19c (68f), though they may experience lower than that in the wild, I personally don`t think it`s necessary in captivity unless they`re brumating.

12. poofandmook

poofandmook Well-Known Member

edited by me... misread the post I was responding to.

13. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Well I was told not to pick him up right now so I really havent been able to see it or anything.
    He's eating great though.

14. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Hi sweetie, I just got thru raising a bunch of babies this summer. I know the frustrations and joys of it and It is so wonderful you are aware of his needs and wanting to provide for him!! he will be much happier and healthier for it. I agree with a shallow water dish inside the tank. each and ever one of my dragons , adults too, have learned to drink from them. They are very vulnerable when they drink as they cannot see with their faces down and shoved into water so don't be surprised that you do not see them do it. I take mine out daily rinse and refill with fresh water as I feed them. When they are babies they naturally seek water on vegetables and drips on walls etc. just like in nature drinking off plants etc. Misting their little faces lightly a few times a day is great . youll see them generally put their faces up and the water runs down their noses into their "lips" it channels back to their jaw ans you will see them swallowing. heehee they are so cute. Id do it in the morning let them have a good drink then they have all day to warm up etc. Just like with their food you shouldn't get them wet for a few hours before their lights are turned off so its certain they are dry and warm before bedtime.
    I wish you a lot of happiness. Its a wonderful time of life to watch !!

- - - Updated - - -

Keep an eye on that stomach issue. It doesn't look like umbilicus to me. its usually gone within the week so it should have been gone by the time you got him.