This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Beardie May Have a Problem?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by irishluck, Dec 9, 2013.

1. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

So I just got a baby bearded dragon like 2 days ago.

Its body is 2"-3" long and with tail is prolly total of 5-6"

My question is I noticed this thing sticking out from his belly.
    Attached is a picture.

Should I be concerned?

IMAG06652.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

2. preyparade

preyparade Well-Known Member

I am no expert, but that looks concerning to me.

3. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I could be wrong, but that looks like the umbilical cord (allantois) hasnt healed fully or maybe not correctly. Ive never had one so young before though so others here may have more experience with newborn lizards

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looks like a leaftover ambilical cord to me. Just leave it alone to heal and it will fall off when its ready.

well I am not sure if its called an ambilical cord as i dont think it feeds nutrients to the embryonic lizard...

5. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

After I posted this I was trying to Google it around some more and there were other people that were saying the same things. That it was left over from the egg.

It just really concerned me seeing that and didnt know what it was!

And yea he is a very young one. I think hes just over a week old now.
    How long should I wait before I start giving him a bath?

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I would say atleast 2 weeks or so. You want him settled in and eating well before you stress him out with bathes.

7. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Well just to throw out there he seems pretty settled in. Hes been eating a lot for a baby!(which is good) I feed him twice a day and he eats about 4-5 crickets at a time.

I keep some fresh greens in there but hasn't eaten very many of them, but have read that babies eat more crickets until they get older, which is when they eat more veggies.

8. poofandmook

poofandmook Well-Known Member

The spots on his belly indicate stress. Does he have the spots often? If so, that might indicate he's not quite as settled in as it seems :)

9. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Who told you that?

10. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

Well I dont know, he is only a little over a week old.

Why do spots mean stress?

11. jarich

jarich Elite Member

It does not necessarily. It can if the spots go from being less prominent to more prominent, (lighter to darker) but it is by no means a hard and fast rule. Having said that, at that young of an age, you really want to not hold your lizard and give it LOADS of hiding places, cover, furniture, etc. Its very risky to have been sold/moved that young, but definitely needs to be left to acclimate for awhile.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

baby beardies shouldnt be sold until they are 6 weeks of age atleast as before that they are too easily stressed. I think that until he reaches that six week mark and has grown a bit you need to be as hands off as possible to let me settle in and thrive. Its also important to note that 4-5 crickets isnt much at all when he settles in you should notice a dramatic increase in cricket consumption. My babies at 1-2months old were eating 100+ crickets a day.

13. poofandmook

I was on a different BD forum and they all said that spots mean stress. Vet too.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No I dont think so. Zsaasz and grundy both have patterened bellies and have since I got them almost a year ago.

15. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I think what they may be referring to is if a dragon with no spots suddenly shows spots, that can be a sign of stress. However, every dragon's colouration is different. Some have spots all the time, some have nice white/cream bellies, just depends on the dragon. This can also be true during other times, say during thermoregulation, where they change their darkness/colour.

16. poofandmook

I feel so stupid.

I asked, specifically, on that forum if some dragons just have spotted bellies, because I couldn't see why my dragon had spots all the time.

Of course, she does go creamy sometimes, so maybe in my dragon's case, it does actually mean stress...

17. jarich

jarich Elite Member

No, please dont feel stupid. All this stuff is a process and you are taking the time to go through it; so thats great. Never stop learning. If youre wrong about something, its just a guide for your next bit of research.

As for your dragon, it could be stress, but like I said there are other reasons they change their colours too. Just like when you wear a black shirt in the sun compared to a white one, dragons will go light or dark sometimes to thermoregulate. They also will change colours when theyre 'in the mood', so to speak.

There are also varying levels of stress. If you pick it up and it changes colour, thats likely stress. However, you can simply put it back down with the expectation that the dragon will return to normal within a short amount of time. Thats much different to something like the prolonged stress of being housed with a dominant male, or moving homes, etc. Dragons are pretty funny lizards too when it comes to stress. They sometimes wont physiologically show signs of stress for up to four hours later. I read an article where they caught and tested dragons to see their reaction to stress. Compared to lots of other lizards and snakes that showed immediate corticosteroid increases (a stress indicator), bearded dragons often had delayed responses only hours later.

18. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

So why shouldn't I handle them? I thought you wanted to so they can get a better feel for humans?

Ive been handling him every day.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

handling is very stressful. Think about it from their point of view: a humoungous giant keeps pestering him and is gonna eat him! Maybe not today but at some point he will! then to top it off their is no safe place in this unfamiliar cage for him to go to and hide/escape the giant predator.
    You need to give him time to get used to the cage and then to learn that you are not a threat instead you are an amazing food god that brings treats and bugs!

20. irishluck

irishluck Active Member

How long roughly? A few weeks?