This Disappears When Logged In

New African Fat-Tailed Gecko- Not Eating!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by nikkistorms, Jul 31, 2012.

1. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I love it when they do that. Watching them stalk their prey is amazing. My Leo is shedding for the second time in less than 12 days so she's really just laying around looking miserable right now. She must be growing like a weed though. :p

2. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Mine was ghost white the other day, I assumed he was going to shed. But, nothing came off. And now he is back to his own colors?...

3. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Give it another week and see what happens. The first time mine shed after I got her was really strange, she got very dried out looking and white, and then kinda went back to her normal color, and then poof a few days later she was as white as a ghost and walking really stiffly. I made sure her humid hide was nice and moist and warm and by the time I got back from dinner with a friend there was a shiny new gecko in her place.

This time actually scared me a bit because it's only been a week since her last shed and I woke up this morning to another ghostly white and lethargic gecko. She was hanging out in her humid hide (which had dried out overnight) and hadn't eaten a thing. I rather rudely spritzed some water in to moisten it back up, went to the store, and came home to find her half out of her skin.

I guess she's having a major growth spurt, especially with the new tail growth, but I didn't expect it to be that soon between sheds.

Also...because I'm still new to this it's kind of exciting to me to be able to actually watch her shed this time.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I will do that. I slowed down on spraying the tank bc I was told I was doing it too often. I have got the temps right with the heat pad.
    That would scare me to death! would a drip system or a fogger help?

6. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Oh mine always eats his shed, but there was a definite false alarm shed as well. I should have been more clear that either could be the case though. I only knew mine was a false alarm the first time because the skin was still dryer, but not as dry and white as it had been the day before, the new growth on the tail hadn't changed color like it does when she actually sheds, the skin was still so tight it was practically ripping off of her etc.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to mislead anyone based upon my weirdos strange habits. :)

7. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Still no shed. interesting... He seems fine. Got all his coco fiber out and put papertowels down. Didnt actually wash the tank yet tho. Dont wanna stress him.