This Disappears When Logged In

New African Fat-Tailed Gecko- Not Eating!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by nikkistorms, Jul 31, 2012.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The crickets should be no bigger than the space between his eyes.

Stop messing with him, you are stressing him out. Get the temps up and let him be. A week without eating isn't anything.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

VERY bad idea! Putting a cold reptile in warm water, is a serious shock to their system. Since their body temperature is that of their environment, their temperature will rise radically and rapidly.
    This in itself could kill them.

3. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

The crickets aren't bigger than his space between his eyes. That was my point I was asking if they are TOO SMALL! Maybe he is shrugging them off bc they aren't big enough, that is what I was asking.

So your telling me NOT to cover the tank with plastic, NOT to feed him, NOT to clean his cage?

I am confused by this. I am not "MESSING" with him. While I appreciate your input I would rather not be told what to do. I am asking for opinions. That doesn't mean I am going to do exactly what one person says, especially when other memebers are telling me other conflicting things. Who am I supposed to be taking advice from?

With that being said:

I taped up 3/4 of the lid to hold in the heat and humitity like I was advised to.
    I also put up the aquarium backing around the sides and back of the tank.
    I put up some fake plants for cover along the front.
    I put the calcium lick back in the tank in a soda bottle top turned upside down.

I have stopped spraying the cage except 2 times a day.
    I do not spray him any more at all with anything.
    I will have the heater tomorrow and will put that up and get the temp right on it.

4. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I will not put him in a bath again. How do you suggest I get him hydrated? Keep spraying 2 times a day?

Also, As for substrate, do you suggest I take out the cocofiber and put paper towels or leave it alone until he gets aclimated. I am being told to LEAVE HIM ALONE, so I am not sure how I am supposed to get things right in his enclosure. Please let me know at this point what I am supposed to do to get him comfortable. He was on sand at the petshop.

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

How long without eating should I worry? I have read every article, caresheet, research that I could find.

6. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I am so happy I am almost in tears!!! Bowser ate 6 crickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry for my enthusiasm but I am overjoyed to see him up and striking at these buggers and EATING THEM!!!!!

I got his basking temp up to 84. Havent got my uth yet, taped the whole top except where the lamp was. Was getting ready to go to bed so I got up to turn his light off. I wasn't going to take him out to try and feed him tonight bc I didnt want to stress him out. I decided at the last second to drop a cricket IN his hot box. HE DARTED AT IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!! So I put 2 more in. GOBBLED THEM RIGHT UP. put 3 more and he gobbled them up too. I stopped there and got a piece of slate tile I had. Washed it real good and put it under his heat lamp to see if it will get warm enough. Gonna leave it there over night to see if he wants to bask on it. I am so freaking besides myself!!! I really am so happy ate. Just overjoyed... Thank you all! I will keep you updated to make sure he continues on this trend.

Should I try more tomorrow, I have noticed most people are saying they feed their AFT's every other day. Seeing how he hasn't eaten in AT LEAST a week, should I try again tomorrow and slow down after a week or so if he continues to eat??

7. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Nikki, that's wonderful news! I'm thrilled that he's finally eating and know exactly how relieved you are right now. Are you still feeding him the very small crickets that you have for your other guys? If so six isn't too many, especially after a week long hunger strike. I think you can probably offer him a few more tomorrow without throwing him off his diet as long as you can do it without stressing him out. That said, his tail still looks nice and plump in the pictures you posted so he's not going to starve if he doesn't want to eat tomorrow or seems to stressed to attempt it. I wouldn't try moving him out of the enclosure or anything else that might stress him though.

8. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

K ill hold off on removing the cocofiber for now then. Ill just throw a few crickets in his hot box like I did tonight. Ill have the uth first thing in the morning and will get his temps up to par. How long do u think I should wait to take this coco fiber out?

9. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

And yes still the small crickets

10. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I would honestly give it another week to allow him to continue to adjust to his new home if possible, especially if he's still hiding in it and getting some security from it. Great news that you're getting his heating pad tomorrow too. I would hate for him to finally be eating and then not be able to digest it because his temperatures are too low.

He's definitely got room in there for a few more tomorrow then. Get his temperatures up before you feed him though. :)

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Definintly will do!!

12. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Hello guys and gals! Heart is skipping with JOY!!! Got my UTH and Thermostat today! Hooked it all up an got my hot box at about 85. Still playing with the temps a little, put a lil of the existing coco-fiber directly over the glass where the UTH is and the Hot box on the other side of it. Bowser ate two more crickets.
    Temps inside the box got to 88 and lil mr bowser waltzed right up out of there and is laying on the UTH!!!

THis is the 1st time he has EVER walked out of his hot box without me taking him out!!!

I AM SO EXCITED! You can tell he feels better! I will try to upload a photo of how his cage is now. Tried not to mess with it too much but the coco-fiber was too deep for the heat to do anything so I had to clear out one end of the tank. Left the coco-fiber in the rest because I was told to try and give him a week before moving everything again. He is up and moving around which is so GREAT!!!

13. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Yes, you were told to leave him alone for another week without making any major changes and you'll do it darned you! I'm kidding of course. o:)

I'm thrilled that he ate a bit more again tonight and it's wonderful that he's finally starting to get acclimated and willingly coming out of his hide. It certainly looks like you're on the right track with him now. I know you want to get his substrate replaced, especially now that he's actually eating in there. If you think that there's a chance that there might a cricket or two that escaped his notice left over in there I would stick a slice of carrot in there. It'll give the cricket something more desirable to chew on.

The additional week that I suggested is just that, a suggestion and it's not set it stone. It may take longer before he's comfortable, but it might not take as long either. Just don't rush him. I wouldn't want you to make the mistake of thinking that he's totally acclimated just because he's started to eat and relax a bit. He's definitely on his way, but since he's just starting you don't want to go changing everything on him and force him to start over again, it will just create unneeded stress. Make sense? There's no magic number of days that you need to wait at this point. You see him all the time, you'll have a better idea of how quickly he's adjusting than anyone else. At this point it's really just a matter of common sense and a bit of caution. Good luck! :)

14. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Yes master vicki!! Haha I know yours is a suggestion. I appreciate your opinions so much. People don't realize their advice is so much more likely to be followed if they change their tone. I hate and I do mean hate being told what to do. Now tellinung me what you THINK I should do is a completely different story! So far everything you have suggested has worked! I'm so glad my lil man is feeling better.

I'm thinking about slowly changing his substrate. Like maybe after a few days just take a cup or so out at a time... And I'll put the carrot in there right now just in case. The gecko won't eat the carrot will he? I'd hate for him to choke on it. I guess I could put it a lil higher than the gecko would go. What do u think?

15. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Got the carrot in there. Put it behind his plants so he couldn't get to it but the crickets can. The temps in his hot box was 90 so I turned the thermostat down just a little. I dont wanna cook him. Never had a taste for reptiles in my food. LMFAO.

16. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

The carrot is perfectly fine in there with him. I keep a piece in my enclosure in the little bowl of meal worms. It gives the crickets something to chew on and helps keep the worms fat and juicy until they're eaten. I still only put a few worms in at a time though. A lot of us have had our geckos sample the carrot so don't be alarmed if yours tries it at some point. It won't cause him any harm, though they generally find that they're fond of carrot. Mine has learned to pick it up and carry it elsewhere if his meal worms are trying to hide under it while he's busy chowing down though. Then once his meal worms are gone he'll go move it around the enclosure a few more times to see if there are more worms hiding under it. :p

I think your substrate idea will work just fine as long as he's appearing more comfortable and confident in a few days.

Ewww...no cooking the reptiles. :p

17. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Awesome. He is moving around the enclosure... I turned the UTH down again, his box is getting quite warm. I may push some of the coco fiber underneath the box to see if that helps...

18. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Yes, the ones that I have used so far have all run far too hot for my needs. Having a thermostat, rheostat, or closely monitored dimmer is essential. It's also really important that he feels as secure in his cool hide as he does in his warm one so that he'll move from side to side to thermoregulate as needed.

19. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Yup that is what he was doing last night. going back and forth

20. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Bowser is doing better. He shook his tail like a rattlesnake last night before striking a cricket!