This Disappears When Logged In

New Addition!!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Pituophis, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

So i did it again, bought a beautiful new snake to add to my ever increasing collection. She is a 2014 leopard boa. Anyone on here have any experience with this species? Just trying to get a feel for the adult size/weight I can expect out of her, and if she should be following a slower feeding regimen than my pythons. I've read what little care sheets exist about these guys, but I'm a numbers guy so i like to know roughly adult weight of a healthy specimen, and % body weight feedings should be.

See if someone can help me out!

Here she is, was just after she cleared before a shed so you cant see her beautiful iridescence.

Attached Files:

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Leopards originally came from Sonoran desert boas, should only grow to about 5'. Boas in general take smaller meals than pythons, and smaller feedings will produce a healthier and longer-lived adult than feeding it the max size food items it can handle. Plenty of care sheets on Sonoran desert boas, or better yet buy a good book for more in-depth info.

3. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Amazing animal!

4. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Well wow thanks for all that..... guess you misread my post, and that's why you have no idea what an adult size /weight would be. I appreciate the condescending advice though! Excellent stuff, as for the sonoran bit? Ya I caught on to that long before I bought the snake, wouldn't have bought a 600 dollar boa without knowing as much about it first as I could. Thanks for all your help though, you really know your stuff!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok dude you need to step it back a bit. He wasn't at all condescending. He just told you what he knows.
    Did you want him to make up a bunch of nonsense?

6. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Well I'm sorry maybe I just don't see the point of someone responding to a question they don't know the answer to, I specifically said I already checked care sheets and hadn't found what an adult weight would be, that's why I came here to ask breeders or owners or someone with experience, not for some hotshot to Google a care sheet himself and and regurg the first 4 lines back to me, reptile communities have a bad name because of this kind of behavior, people who own one or two snakes try and answer all questions thinking they are an expert and that's how poor information gets circulated.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have not heard of that locality before, but that is a beautiful snake. Upon searching for more info, I could not find any specifics about adult size other than that they are considered a dwarf population, not unlike Central American or Nicaraguans in adult size.

My male Central American is almost 7 years old, and is less than 4 feet long. I do not have a current weight for him.

Females obviously will get a little bigger, so maybe she will get to 5 feet, possibly a little more. It doesn't seem like much info is available about that specific locality.

Are you able to contact the breeder you purchased him from? they are more than likely to have adults in their collection from which to draw the data you are seeking.

8. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Hi Dragoness,

Thanks for the reply, from all my searching I think your spot on comparing the sonorans/leopards to other central Americans, by breeder only has one hold back leopard and that's from the same litter as mine,my little girl came from two hits, that being said he said his female is just over 3 and was her first litter she's just over 4ft, no weight on her though as of it. It's always hard to tell with snakes that were bred young though as I would think it would affect growth in the future. I'd live to see a picture of your adult central and it would be awesome if you had a weight too just for reference.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

So he doesn't have any mature snakes yet, to get a size from, much less a female to give you a good idea? Well, it was an idea.

I can try and get a weight, but I no longer have a scale small enough to measure my Central accurately.

All of the vets I have ever used don't really bother with body weight unless calculating dosages for drugs. The rest is given as overall body condition - a visual assessment of whether a snake has adequate fat reserves.

The only time I have ever seen weight specified for snakes is in terms of meeting a minimum weight before breeding.

For a while I was interested in trying to find out if my female 'normal' boa was overweight, (which she likely is) but there is no reputable chart out there for assessing a snake's body weight against it's age, length, etc. There is no neat little box in which we can expect them to fit, in terms of body weight numbers.

That said, I'll try to get a weight on Vladimir (my Central American) though your female will likely outgrow him. Here are some pics of him.

2.10.14. 076.jpg
    2.10.14. 071.jpg