This Disappears When Logged In

Needing Some Dubias

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by RagelessPanda, Mar 4, 2014.

1. RagelessPanda

RagelessPanda New Member

Hey everyone, I am a fresh member who saw the posts and though the community was amazing and helpful, so here it goes!
    I have been looking for someone to help me get a Dubia colony going, I recently had Spine surgery and I have not been able to be as active as before. I found that reptiles were a calming, beautiful therapy for my restless mind and now well, I seem to have a need for my own food supply. I was hoping someone on here would help me with some fairly priced roaches, I ordered 200 from a different source and they all came dead, when I tried to call the supplier they said it was my fault because I didn't request over-night shipping... so, I'm hoping to find a member on these forums who can help me out. I have a bit of money left but the DOA order really hurt me.

thanks for looking
    Cheers - Mike

attached a pic of my little man!

Attached Files:

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

With the cold temperatures right now a lot of people won't be shipping or will ship but without a Live Arrival Guarantee. It will be about a month before a lot of people start shipping, even with heat packs.

3. RagelessPanda

RagelessPanda New Member

Understandable :(
    still, if there is anyone who can help me out, I can pay for the overnight shipping and I wouldn't need a 100% live guarantee. Like I said, It was just a blow to have the order arrive and be dead, then the company had no respect and just told me to buy more and specifically request over-night, but that was a few months ago and now I'm here :)
    I currently have $75 to spare for a good start-up. If anyone is feeling generous or just has too many roaches, Please let me know.

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Overnight shipping is around $30-$40 through USPS. Try checking locally on somewhere like Craigslist or a similar site if you have one. Overnight shipping would cost more than the Dubia if you chose to go that route.

5. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

I get my dubia through ebay, i live in Maine so we have the coldest weather in the us and i still get my dubia alive just tell the seller to use heat packs and make sure you are home when they deliver the package so it wont sit in the cold the seller that i bought my colony from is called MyBoysMommy she sells 30F&10M for $50 which is cheaper than the online sites that i used to buy from hoe this helps

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or if you can hit a reptile expo, there is usually someone selling them there.

7. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

The problem that I see is that the heat packs (according to their warning labels) may stop working in temperatures below freezing. I live in VA which is a fairly good medium for temperatures but our average low temperature isn't predicted to stabilize above freezing until the end of the month. I was thinking about throwing a heat pack in the freezer for a few hours just to see if it would actually stop working but then I might end up with some thawed out rodents by accident. The other issue is weather delays such as snow could easily set the package arrival (normally 2-3 days USPS Priority) back by a couple of days meaning a 72 hour heat pack would have run out by the time the Dubia arrive, possibly leaving them to freeze.