This Disappears When Logged In

Need some ID help here.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Darkbird, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'm just not a colubrid guy. I got this little fella from a guy down the street that was buying rats from me. Long story short, this one of those situations where it wasn't originally his and he knew nothing about snakes. He just wanted to get rid of it and I wanted the cage. Now I'm getting some decent meals in him, but I need to know for sure exactly what kind of snake he is. All I got out of the previous owner was rat snake. Yeah, that helps, sheesh. So I took him to the last reptile show, and a buddy of mine attempted to help me probe him. Didn't really go well, but we decided the best guess to be male. The consensus was also that it is a Vietnamese beauty, but the pattern doesn't really match up on any of the pics I have been able to find. So here we are, any help on whether we got species right and any morph guesses would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Coelognathus radiates

Would be my first guess, a few snakes share the same marks in Thailand and go by a variety of names. An image search using the above name got many similar images of your snake. Hope this gets you closer.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The build of the head and general body shape tend to back that up, but most of the pictures I could find had the pattern dissapearing right behind the head, then coming back a few inches down and continuing down the body, and this guy has stripes that start in the proper area then fade away again as you go back. Most of the pics I could find had the pattern getting darker towards the tail. Hence my wondering if it was a morph. Friendly little guy regardless, has not tried to take a poke at me yet. Goes nuts when the rat goes in though.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

He is a large specimen from the ones I had back in the day so patterns may change with growth (fade and such) but I would bet toward the morph, wild or otherwise. I'd think that many of these snakes are not unlike a few of our Kingsnakes and such, not hard to get a cross breed.

But that doesn't mean that this could be a legitimate population out there, just haven't locked down a variety.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'd agree that is a step in the right direction. The patterns I've found in pictures do seem to have a lot of variety in multiple patterning.
    If it's the same as up here you don't see them around a whole lot that there would be too much captive breeding going on.